Re-using Rosemary tiles

Hi all,

How can you tell if old rosemarys are reusable? Is there some sort of test you can carry out to determine if they've lost their water repellent quality and become porous? Also is there any chemical you can soak them in to bring them back to spec if they have become porous?

cheers.

Reply to
orion.osiris

can carry out to determine if they've lost their water repellent quality and become porous?

they have become porous?

If you mean the Rosemary classic clay roof tiles made by Redland, they don't use a coating to make them waterproof, as well fired clay is naturally waterproof, which means they can be re-used indefinitely as long as they are sound and will be weatherproof as long as they are correctly laid.

They've been in continuous production now for a *long* time.

If not, then what type of tiles do you mean?

Reply to
John Williamson

The orange coloured ones from the picture on the link you kindly posted, by the look of it. They don't appear to have any nail holes for some reason. :-/

Some builder told me you can tell if the tiles have gone west by examining the underside of them after a strong spell of rain. If they show a damp-looking patch then they're knackered and should be replaced. Fortunately it won't cost me anything to get rid of them as he told me he'd take them away himself to use as hardcore on another job, so that's one less cost I have to worry about anyway.

Reply to
orion.osiris

t of test you can carry out to determine if they've lost their water repell ent quality and become porous? Also is there any chemical you can soak them in to bring them back to spec if they have become porous? cheers.

Are they Rosemary tiles, Rosemary is a brand name of a clay roof tile. Ther e are at least a dozen identical tiles the same pattern, Rosemary tiles hav e their name embedded in the top of the rear of the tile. To check if the tiles are ok just look on the underside for any red patch's and shaling or laminating, you could tap with a hammer to see if they soun d dull for cracks.

Reply to
Kipper at sea

the look of it. They don't appear to have any nail holes for some reason. :-/

underside of them after a strong spell of rain. If they show a damp-looking patch then they're knackered and should be replaced.

take them away himself to use as hardcore on another job, so that's one less cost I have to worry about anyway.

More likely to use on another roof repair. Sound ones are worth money on eBay.

Reply to
John Williamson

+1, John Williamson wrote: > >> If you mean the Rosemary classic clay roof tiles made by Redland, they >> >> don't use a coating to make them waterpro of, as well fired clay is >> >> naturally waterproof, which means they can be re-used indefinitely as >> >> long as they are sound and will be weather proof as long as they are >> >> correctly laid. >> >> >> >> They've been in continuous production now for a *long* time. >> >> >> >>
ic.html >> >> >> >> If not, then what type of tiles do you mean? >> >> -- >

picture on the link you kindly posted, by the look of it. They don't appea r to have any nail holes for some reason. :-/ > > Some builder told me you can tell if the tiles have gone west by examining the underside of them aft er a strong spell of rain. If they show a damp-looking patch then they're k nackered and should be replaced. > Fortunately it won't cost me anything to get rid of them as he told me he'd take them away himself to use as hardco re on another job, so that's one less cost I have to worry about anyway. Mo re likely to use on another roof repair. Sound ones are worth money on eBay . -- Tciao for Now! John.

If they an't got nail holes in them, then they arn't Rosemary, sounds like they are some sort of clay handmade tiles

Reply to
Kipper at sea

The double glazing people who fitted my mother's windows kindly took away her old Crittall windows...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Or recycle onto the roof of someone else he's sold the same story to!

Reply to
<me9

look of it. They don't appear to have any nail holes for some reason. :-/

underside of them after a strong spell of rain. If they show a damp-looking patch then they're knackered and should be replaced.

take them away himself to use as hardcore on another job, so that's one less cost I have to worry about anyway.

The reroofed the council houses a couple of years ago. Removed every rosemary tile and carefully stacked and palleted them. They got £££ for them.

Reply to
mogga

can carry out to determine if they've lost their water repellent quality and become porous?

they have become porous?

As said, clay doesn't become porous. If its not disintegrating or cracked, its good. You can pick up hairline cracks by tapping them.

NT

Reply to
meow2222