Re: Understairs Cupboard Remix!

It's almost certain that the wiring to the switch won't provide what you need to run a lamp. You'll need to run a feed to the second lamp from the existing hall light if you want them both switched by the same switch.

but
can do

my
how
Unless you happen to live in Scotland, where regs have power going to the switch and then to the bulb. That way, when you turn off the switch, _nothing_ is live at the bulb. Makes for crowded switch boxes though!
Al
"Al Reynolds" wrote | > It's almost certain that the wiring to the switch won't provide what | > you need to run a lamp. You'll need to run a feed to the second lamp | > from the existing hall light if you want them both switched by the | > same switch.
Or even if you don't want the cupboard light on the same switch, as there won't be a neutral at the switch.
| Unless you happen to live in Scotland, where regs have power | going to the switch and then to the bulb. That way, when you | turn off the switch, _nothing_ is live at the bulb. Makes for | crowded switch boxes though!
What regs? The IEE Wiring Regs are the same in E&W as Scotland. Looping-in at switches is a little unconventional but (provided you have the appropriate terminals safely contained, and not a Scruit or bit of choccy bloc rattling round in the box) AFAIK completely compliant with the Regs.
Owain

In cases where it's been tricky to do otherwise, I've looped in at the switch. Used a double pole switch....avoids the jointing.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk