Re: Trouble with bathroom basin

You could suggest trying that new harpic? thing, which squirts a jet of

>liquid down at high pressure (block off overflow, press can down firmly >over plughole with other hand) - but no idea if it'll solve the problem >you have with that sink. Might stir up stiff in the trap enough to get >it down the pipe - on the other hand might not, or might just shift it >further along and block it elsewhere...

Saw one of those in Homebase earlier today, and thought "nah".

Good job too. When I got onsite to look at this basin I found that the mixer tap was fixed to the basin with its spout immediately above the fscking plughole. Whilst it was possible to angle the pressume pump into position I'm under the impression that the squirty thing you refer to would need to be vertical to the plughole.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

it was a thick, red liquid based on sulphuric (?) acid. When used on urinals it produced a truly horrendous stink and you had to open all the windows to avoid being gassed but, by God, it was good. Same effect on slow sinks too - pour it in, leave for 1/2 hour, carefully rinse away (it spits if you apply water too fast). HTH, Richard. (supplied from Naylor Myers I think)

Reply to
Frisket

[snip]

You can still get this red stuff. I got some from Plumbase last month. Came with separate H&S warning notice. It is 80% H2SO4. Will shift anything. Really meant for drains but can be used on basins and sinks provided a plastic funnel is used to get it in passed the metal parts which it will eat. I put some in a toilet that unknown to me had been already treated with caustic soda. You can imagine the effect, was like a volcano in there.

Reply to
BillR

Hi

I think its just a blast of gas, not a can of liquid.

I used one and it achieved very little. Old fashioned plunger worked back and forth lots of times to pull the muck back up followed by a decent drain unblocker is what ours needs every 3-4 months.

I'm about to give it a 'proper' service with some type of dismantalling and rodding though because its obviously hanging on to too much stuff somewhere down the line.

IanC

Reply to
Ian Clowes

It is a bottle trap.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Hi

Not strictly, although it might help get the blast to the right spot.

You can make a 'nest' of damp rags to act as a gasket and hence hold the can at an angle.

IanC

Reply to
Ian Clowes

It isn't conc acid and does not boil when you add it to plain water.

If you go into trade outlets in scruffy clothes and sound like you know what you're talking about, they'll sell you anything.

Reply to
BillR

More like 2/3 water and a lot of salt! I can't remember the breakdown exactly. If you were 90% water, you'd be either a limp lettuce, or the Archbishop of Canterbury.

________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com

Reply to
jerrybuilt

Or both at the same time? the sink would empty quickly through the vanished pipework ;-) (Tongue firmly in cheek - Please don't try it. It's not big and it's definitely not clever) Richard.

Reply to
Frisket

Yep, 70% or there abouts:

high school biology teachers!