Re: There's only way to describe this moron

Yes, the tendency to believe no nails is really good for everyting is strange. Glue is also going to soften with heat.

You do have to be quite thick though to not even do back of the envelope maths o n such things as this. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reminds me of two incidents in Burnley 2012 and 2013 -ish where toddlers have been killed by falling television sets.

In the most recent case Natalie McMillan was cleared of manslaughter but got a 4 month sentence for neglect.

She said that she was trying to plug a TV recorder into the set when it toppled over. She was under the influence of drugs and her partner was also (he was unconscious on the kitchen floor at the time)

It's difficult trying not to be judgemental in cases like this. Perhaps thinking that the child is better off.

Reply to
JTM

Poor bastard. He has to live with that. Not sure I could

Reply to
stuart noble

Being paranoid, I'd be screwing thick steel strips to the back and using those as backup lugs!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Being paranoid is a parent's duty

Reply to
stuart noble

Or perhaps more accurately, KNOWING when to be paranoid....

Too much paranoia in general these days with regard to children I think.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Correct. They do not learn how to analyse their environment for risk if some overbearing entity has removed all risk with excessive mollycoddling.

Reply to
Richard

Yes, but to be fair I would probably assume that a big marble fireplace had been fixed securely.

Reply to
newshound

The solidity of the thing itself implies that it won't move.

I'd be paranoid in case the vibration of a small earthquake made it fall on me or the cat!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes, straight up and down. ...but tilt? Falling over squashing you or the cat?

Reply to
soup

At two years old, perhaps not. There is no indication in the report as to how long between, ''She reached up to the fireplace and started swinging from it." and ''All of a sudden it came away from the wall." The whole thing is tragic, but genes from both parents contributed as dad and father-in-law stuck the thing to the wall. When my daughter was a toddler, we made sure that she knew certain things were not toys or gym equipment.

Reply to
Richard

Apparently there are toddlers who will drink bleach given half a chance. I've never met one though. IME they are an ultra cautious bunch

Reply to
stuart noble

Most won't even touch vegetables, or anything that isn't breadcrumbed and shaped to look like a dinosaur.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Quite right too!

Reply to
stuart noble

My brother took a few swigs from a bottle of Dettol when he was small.

Reply to
Bob Martin

One swig might be understandable, but a few? Did he decide he liked it then?

Reply to
stuart noble

Couldn't have been very pleasant:

Richard

These products often contain stuff like Bitrex (Denatonium) which is the most bitter tasting thing you could try. Perversley, some children seem to like it!

Nasty if ingested, but I seem to remember once being told to use a Dettol solution as a mouthwash.

John

Reply to
JTM