Re: Tax software

wrote:

I used it last year (and will again this year) - worked well, no problems (apart from saying that I owed some tax!). You can do a bit and save it, then do more later, then submit it when all done. And I think, although you'd need to check, that you don't have to submit it before the end of September if you do it online.
I think the snail mail password is actually a reasonable security feature for such an application.
Peter.
Add pictures here
โœ–
On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:51:27 +0100, Bob Minchin

I used the Which Taxcalc software for a few years and found it quite good when I had fairly straightforward tax affairs. Not free, but pretty cheap and in one year it did pick up something I'd missed making a saving that more than paid for it.
I now have a rather more complex tax situation and my accountant does this as well as various other financial jobs for me.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Add pictures here
โœ–

Bob, the 'snail mailing' of a PIN is a standard security arangement. It is known as an 'out of band' mechanism. i.e. if you register electronically then a non-electronic means is used to confirm you are who you say you are (or at least live at your registered address). More secure that using an email address to return your PIN. You wouldn't want someone else filling in your tax return and telling the IR you earn ฃ500K and please come and collect the back tax :-)) The online form works well for me.
AFAIK you will still need a PIN to electronically submit a tax return from a third party package.
HTH Dave R
Add pictures here
โœ–

I agree - the IR site has had a load of bad press but personally I've used it successfully for 2 years now. (Still worth manually checking what figures it ends up spitting out though!)
David
Add pictures here
โœ–

Don't believe there is any, unless you earn less than the ฃ20K allowed by TaxCalc Lite

you only have to do it once though and it works for following years

I had a nightmare with it last year, spent hours online (only have 56K dialup and have to be online to use it) and it absolutely refused to let me submit the numbers, tried 2 different PC configurations, but their helpdesk guys never got to the bottom of it over the phone. So I resorted to downloading TaxCalc and it worked a charm. So I paid the ฃ15 for this years CD willingly, it gives you a headstart too by opening last years file so you don't have to type loads in.

Correct
Ian
Add pictures here
โœ–
BigMac wrote:

And don't forget that the cost of the software is itself deductable as expenses.
Nick
Add pictures here
โœ–

Doesn't the IR free CD have a tax calculator on it?
--
geoff

Add pictures here
โœ–