Re: Taps on basin keep moving

I've just installed a new basin in the bathroom and am having

> difficulties stopping the taps from moving. The holes in the basin > were quite large for the tap stem so I made spacer washers to centre > the taps - I then change the plastic nuts for brass ones but even with > a tap wrench the family still end up twisting the taps. OK I could > issue orders to the family to stop being gorillas but that's a bit > unrealistic as the previous taps were OK.

My current recipe is to apply a gob of plumber's mait (I should get commission on the stuff :-) to taps when fitting, also a washer (bit of 22mm plastic pipe, sliced to about 3mm length) to centre it better (as you've done), discard rubber washers and tighten hand tight with box spanner. They won't resist a determined twisting at first but over the months & years as the mait hardens it should become pretty solid.

You could cheat and apply gripfill instead of mait. You could go ballistic and use Araldite ;-)

-- John Stumbles

-+ Bob the builder / it'll cost yer Bob the builder / loadsa dosh

Reply to
John Stumbles

Or car body filler.

Another trick is to put a ply plate on the sink rear.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher