Re-surface Belfast sink

Can one re-surface a ceramic sink in any satisfactory way? My wife wants to get a new Belfast sink because she thinks the surface of the present one has deteriorated.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Essentially no you cant.

scratches can be buffed out, but crazing and chips are less tractable.

I simply dose ours with conc. NaOH regularly to get the stains out of the cracks and it keeps SWMBO reasonably happy

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'd never let her have one. We gave up using them over half a century ago for the very good reason that stainless is so much better and doesn't destroy crockery.

Reply to
Capitol

I probably agree...privately

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You also need one of these.

and one of these.

F Murtz

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:lranoq$7uf$1 @news.albasani.net:

I have a neighbour who tried to persuade us to have one because "you need one if you want to fill a bucket under the sink tap". Strange woman - I can fill a bucket in our ordinary SS sink or at the outside tap. Strange fixation!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Actually, she wants a stainless steel sink. She chose the Belfast sink originally - was very keen on it - but I think it would be quite difficult to install a stainless steel sink in our kitchen without a bit of - probably ugly - carpentry. The kitchen was made by a carpenter with hardwood working surface (I think teak) and looks very well, IMO.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

When we get our kitchen redone, eventually, we'll be after a double-sink double drainer in SS, if we can find one. None of this sit-on rubbish, that prevents you from sweeping water from the drainer into the sink, and none of this offer-up-from-underneath business, with its consequent and subsequent leaks

Reply to
Tim Streater

They are about, might need to look at commercial kitchen suppliers rather than doemstic and definately not the sheds. Not going that big here large 1 1/2 bowl single drainer will do BUT with the bottom of the over flow at least 1 1/2" below the rim and the bowl at least 6" deeper than that. Also made left or right handed so no stupid leaky plugged hole(s) on the front edge like the cheapy shed things.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

/ Also made left or right handed so no stupid leaky plugged hole(s) on the front edge like the cheapy shed things/q

Useful plugged with a liquid detergent pump dispenser....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Sam Plusnet

Juss the job, ta.

Reply to
Tim Streater

be aware that's (a) very expensive and (b) looks like it is designed to go right back to the wall.

IIRC last time I bought one it was about 60 quid

Oh. Prices HAVE gone up...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, thass what we want. The one shown has a nice vertical lip at the back that I hope can be tiled over. That would be two metres of units that would neither have nor need worktop.

But we'll have to see what's available at the time we get the work done.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Posted in error meant for different thread.

Reply to
F Murtz

OK, but surely either (or preferably both) of those would improve the sound of your washing up just as much as they'd improve the sound of your music.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

This any use .... video on resurface ceramic sink:

or

There are several companies who will fully resurface the sink for you:

Rick Hughes

Stainless steel Belfast sinks are available.

A quick Google shows them starting around £300

Reply to
mike

Just where it's going to be in the way all the time.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

/Just where it's going to be in the way all the time. /q

?? Never bothered us for years? Are you er short?

Jim K

Reply to
JimK