Re: Streaky/blotchy door varnishing - please help

What you do is mix a quantity of varnish with an equal quantity of white spirit. Brush it on and let it dry, then, after a light sanding, apply another coat of the same. After yet another light sanding, apply two or more coats of just varnish.
It's a pain and it takes a long time but the end result is worth the effort.
Si
message

I think that will be too thin to allow the varnish to "go off." The mix does look good though if you slap it on then wipe it off with a cloth after a few minutes. It leaves a lustre in the wood with no layer to speak of.
You can dilute the varnish with up to about 10% turps or meths (one or the other not both) to help spread it out evenly.

Ah...I did wonder after I sent the post.
No, you can't dilute water-based varnish with white spirit. I don't like water-based - IMO it's absolute rubbish.
Si
Rebecca wrote in message

it.
Rebecca wrote in message

stripper should make it soluble enough to redistribute it on the surface. Smelly job but a lot easier than re-sanding.
Rebecca wrote:

Possibly, as will over-brushing, e.g. when the varnish is drying ("skinning over").

The secret is to stain the timber before applying clear varnish. Sometimes you can't stain easily, e.g. where timber has been stripped of a previous finish, as the stain won't be absorbed uniformly.

You may well be best advised to strip. However, you may be OK if you de-nib with fine paper, then apply several *thin* coats of coloured varnish.
________________________________________________________________ Sent via the PAXemail system at paxemail.com