Re: Soundproofing question

I vaguely thought of pouring concrete between the two to increase the > mass of the wall

What you need is your new wall to be totally disconnected from the existing wall.

An easy to make cross section would be: Original single brick 50mm air gap Timber stud work with rockwool infill Double skin of plasterboard.

The different masses (RW & PB) are a good combination attenuator, but the key is there must be no hard path for the direct transmission of the sound wave. The studwork should only be connected to the side walls, floor and ceiling, and kept clear of the rear wall.

Toby.

Reply to
Toby

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:22:44 +0100, a particular chimpanzee named "Toby" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The problem with that is that the short section of studwork will have to be joined to the main wall at the reveals.

John; I think your best option is to add mass to it (dense concrete blockwork) to bring it up to the thickness of the rest of the party wall. IANAParty Wall Act Expert, but I would have thought adding to the party wall wouldn't require notification, but you'd be well advised to talk to your neighbour about it. If you can hear him, he may be able to hear you.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

Why not just shoot the teenager? If your neighbours keep him in a cupboard, they probably won't mind too much.

Reply to
Martin

That's cruel. Just release him into the wild.

Reply to
Suz