Re: Somehow this has a familiar ring to it

In uk.d-i-y, IMM wrote:

For extra accuracy he could set his clock at midnight as well. He'd need to splash out on a luminous sundial, though.
--
Mike Barnes

IMM wrote:

but to say GMT. Otherwise its not a lot of use in finding your longitude.

Correct. That's why I posted a link for a "ship's clock" not a chronometer.

maths,...
--
geoff

If you have an accurate local time and what port you are in, you can set the chronometer. I presume the navigator had access to the known co-ordinates of the port.
Christian.