Re: Solving Condensation Problems

We seem have a condensation problem on the downstairs external walls

> on a victorian end of terraced house. > > The Damp FAQ and Graham Colemans excellent site have helped us > identify condensation as the problem (rather than DPC failure which we > had considered) but now we have to find some sort of solution. > > Over the past three years units have been placed in front of the > alcoves where the problems have occured. Also the radiators are > positioned on the opposite (internal) walls. > > My proposed solution is to get rid of the existing radiators and > replace with a radiator in each alcove. > > Another suggestion was to put 240W electric skirting radiators in each > alcove. > > With either of the above solutions we also planned to use condensation > resistant paint to help combat the problem. > > I would grateful to get some feedback on the solutions. In particular > whether 240W is enough power to prevent condensation on an external > victorian wall. Also whether condensation proof paint actually works. > Finally any other solutions that people have found to work. > > Thanks in advance. > > E.Varnell

Hi Again EMV,

I've just replied to your question on water from an airbrick and now I read you have water seeping through the walls from outside. Me' thinks your house is in need of external repointing of the masonry that make up the walls. These alcove aren't by any chance on an external wall ?

Reply to
BigWallop

Thanks for the reply.

The alcoves are indeed on an external wall.

Incidently we have just had a damp course company suggest that we spend £6000 on having some sort of bubble wrap stuck on the external wall and then rendered over. If repointing is all that would be required I would hope we could get this done for a good deal less.

The reason we think that it is condensation is that the mould and paint flaking are happening behind units (placed in the alcoves). It also seems to rise up slightly in the corners.

Would you be able to explain how water would get it due to poor pointing? Would we not expect the moitsure to appear frther up the wall?

Thanks again

E.Varnell

Reply to
EMV

Hi Again EMV,

I think this site gives answers to your questions:

it explains things a bit better than me rambling on about it. :-))

Reply to
BigWallop