Re: Solving Condensation Problems

Hi Again EMV,
I've just replied to your question on water from an airbrick and now I read you have water seeping through the walls from outside. Me' thinks your house is in need of external repointing of the masonry that make up the walls. These alcove aren't by any chance on an external wall ?
Thanks for the reply.
The alcoves are indeed on an external wall.
Incidently we have just had a damp course company suggest that we spend 6000 on having some sort of bubble wrap stuck on the external wall and then rendered over. If repointing is all that would be required I would hope we could get this done for a good deal less.
The reason we think that it is condensation is that the mould and paint flaking are happening behind units (placed in the alcoves). It also seems to rise up slightly in the corners.
Would you be able to explain how water would get it due to poor pointing? Would we not expect the moitsure to appear frther up the wall?
Thanks again
E.Varnell

Hi Again EMV,
I think this site gives answers to your questions:
http://www.axp.mdx.ac.uk/~john49/dampfaq.htm
Hope it explains things a bit better than me rambling on about it. :-))
--
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com