Re: Slightly OT: New Gas Supply Installation - help...

Wonder if this was designed to supply all the flats, or just put in for one? If it was installed at building time, I'd have expected it to be provided inside every flat whether used or not.
--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

I'd have thought every building 100 years old would have been supplied with gas if available.
--
*Modulation in all things *

Hi Joe,
In the common stair, can you see holes in the wall, about half an inch in diameter, beside or very close to each flats front door ? They should be on top of a little bump on the wall.

From
on
Just had a chance to have another look (sorry, just got the keys to the new place yesterday, and with the excitemen and all...), so here is a quick update:
- There is in fact no gas in the common stairs. There is though gas in the building which runs down the corner of the sitting room - from ceiling to floor, down the whole building (horrible arrangement, I know). - There is a T-type connector on the common gas pipe near the floor of my sitting room, but it is currently capped.
My (new) questions then are:
1. Who should I contact to have the flat connected? 2. Can I choose the location of the gas meter? The neighbour that I spoke to had it fitted at floor level in the corner of his sitting room - a real eyesore. I am prepared to pay extra if needed.
Again, many TIA.
Joe.

branch
in
be
new
It may be a requirement that the meter be fitted in the living room, but I can't think why they should enforce this.
If you have a word the gas company, they'll give you all the ins and outs of what procedure to use to apply for connection better than anyone.
Is there a cupboard in the hall or kitchen where the meter could sit out of the way. Better to think about that now before the gas guys arrive.
Enjoy your new place, and lots of luck to you.

old.
the
my
spoke
of
of
Thanks mate for all your useful advise.
Yes, there is a large cupboard off the hall that is my preferred option for housing the meter.
The reason I asked all those (pretty simple I believe) questions was because I was unable to get any sensible answers from either Scottish Gas or Transco over the telephone. Typical call centre stuff: "we will send you a quote" is all I could get out of them. i.e. their script did not cover my case...
Many thanks again anyway.

Well, before they can give you an answer they need to know the facts - like if there is or not a suitable supply coming into the house. Now *you* know this, ask them to call and give you a quote for installing a meter where you want it.
--
*Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.

Sounds very sensible, and exactly what I suggested to them. Guess what they wanted me to do - first sign an agreement to their quote (based on my description of the situation). Sounds fair enough, until you read the small print that states that they reserve the right to alter their price on the spot should their engineers realise that the work is different from what they first thought.
And you guessed it, they will not come to see it before you agree to the quote that is based on Q&A over the phone...

Suppose there's some logic in this. Sending a trained person out to do a quote ain't cheap. How much are they asking as your 'deposit' based on the fats you've given them?
--
*They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken.

I think the easiest way to do it is to have Scottish Power deal with it all.
ISTR going through the above process a few years ago for my flat, and saying bo$%*&ks to the money - I want the job done, so got British Gas to do the lot as the supplier. I dont know if it cost more than Transco, (who now use subcontract to Fulcrum in my area), because I couldnt work it all out.
I think it cost about 400 or so.
You can, of course, get another supplier, and/or TRANSCO type organisation to give a competitive quote, but then you complicate it even more - I couldnt make head or tales of a system which ran rings round me, so I just paid up and got the gas in <g>
--
Richard Faulkner