re skimming ceilings

hi my property has sound but unattractive ceilings. they are all generally sound (no cracks/stains) but are finished with a bobbly/ stipply effect. also there are some strips visible, like tape has been removed or something, so there are flat lines about 2 inches thick once or twice.

i'm just after some views on whether getting them re skimmed is worth it. obviously it will look nicer having flat smooth ceilings but is it worth the cost now. or better to wait til they actually need doing?

i have read sarah beeny's property ladder book and got some tips but she doesn't mention ceilings, only getting walls re skimmed if you want a modern contempary result.

Reply to
benpost

Reskim them for sure if you don't like them.

'Polyskim' is a DIY product that is not too bad..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The tape is jointing and the artex is obviously on too thin or it would have hidden it.

You can flatten the artex with a steamer and some sort of rolling pin.

I'd palster over it though as it may contain asbestos if it is old stuff. And I'd do it PDQ too. Get a squity bottle an empty kitchen cleaner or some such spray and fill it with PVA white glue and water mixed.

Spray the ceiling and it should be sound enough to leave for a week or so while you get organised.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

Can I just add to those questions what do you do about painting textured ceilings? My son's house has the stippled 'icing' type effect. Once he's married in April they intend to buy another house so just to clean it all up what kind of preparation do we do before painting? It's going to be a really awful job trying to clean the ceilings with sugar soap etc unless I use an upside down brush. Can I just paint over it with say gloss and then ordinary paint (thinking of the kitchen ceilings here) or would that be a DIY nightmare?

Reply to
Janet Tweedy

If selling, just paint over everything. with emulsion.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , The Natural Philosopher writes

Thank goodness for that, I was told that you needed to put gloss on first if the ceiling was in the kitchen and so might have grease on it.

Reply to
Janet Tweedy