Re: sds hammer drill

My Metabo (AFAIR) doesn't have any means to regrease it. I always apply a small smear of grease to the splines on the bits, and clean it off when I take them out. I think this was suggested in the instructions or by the shop for long life of the chuck.
--
Andrew Gabriel

They *used* to be the norm, but I'd think you'd have to try hard to find one these days.
--
*I speak fluent patriarchy but it's not my mother tongue

I bought my SDS drill just before they entered the DIY market. There were two cheaper ones available then (i.e. under 100), possibly aimed at DIY use, which I did look at. One didn't have rotary stop, and the other did have rotary stop but didn't lock the chuck against rotation, and it would tend to move round whilst you were using it. I didn't pursue them and don't remember the makes now. With fully functional SDS drills now available sub-50 for DIY use, I can't imagine these products exist anymore.
--
Andrew Gabriel

through a wall, and it's the dog's. but it hasn't got a roto stop
Mike R

and that particular drill and the others like it.. DeWalt 563.. no roto stop.. Makita 2400 etc... what they do have versus any of the cheap shite is a safety clutch....
Now when you say go buy one from Argos then try and drill a big hole in one go.. don't say you weren't warned when it nearly breaks your wrist... (speaks from experience)
IanJH
Dewalt 566, Makita HR3000C and an old cheapy shite used for chiselling only
writes

I don't know about the cheap ones they sell these days but I wouldn't bother with one that didn't have all these things plus a reverse.
They go in fast and can get stuck quick!
Is it just me or is it now common to have two SDS drills?
#1 A cheap 3 in 1 type, same machine but any brand, nearly always left on chisel setting, which are great for breaking things into small pieces, but weigh a ton, don't have a slip clutch, need greasing, have a too short cable, smell funny after hard work, die within the guarantee enabling you get a full refund then buy a replacement.
#2 A brand name quality piece for drilling now you have all those lovely bits, a long cable, good case, comfortable grip, slip clutch for those 'moments', no need for grease chambers, usable up a ladder without arms like Popeye etc.
I never realised how great the diffference would be until the shed thought it would be a good plan to price the 120 DeWalt at 49 until they rapidly sold out, wonder why?
Toby.