Re: screen to hide neighbours

You can't cut them back once they get too big, because

> the interior never regenerates and you end up with horrid brown bits.

"Never" is a long word. Leylandii will develop new shoots from old wood if dosed with a high nitrogen fertiliser. I've regenerated one Leyladii hedge that had been allowed to shoot up to 20ft by cutting it down to six ft. Then getting inside and cutting a V shaped section along the length of the hedge to allow light to penetrate into the interior. Then followed five years of weaving in braches, cutting back to let light get to the developing shoots and the regular trimming it should have had from day one. The next owner of the property kept up the treatment after I told him what we were doing and today it's a fine hedge. As good as a typical yew hedge IMO. But it has taken near 15 years to get it that way.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels like that - I can handle large amounts of dogs barking, loud music, revving engines etc etc but wind chimes!!!! Thank goodness the neighbours don't have a water feature as well.

Reply to
John W

FAQ and there are some suggestions - I'll follow those up. Keith>

Reply to
keith

And dogs..... And 2 chimes, one enormous metal "tubular bells type " , one wooden glockenspiel type. And she has a prominent fat behind....with a tongue to match. And they live in the garden as much as in their back room & shout between the two.

hence the need for a screen....

(I don't wanto get into an arguing with neighbours thread as you just can't win an argument with people as thick as them!)

Reply to
keith

Dear me, Andy, you're starting to sound like IMM. If those two line were presented without attribution, I'd suspect a definite IMM-ness[*]. See what happens when you spend too long flam^h^h^h^h arguing with him? Don't judge a book by its cover (or a woman by the shape of her behind).

[*] Reinforced by your mis-spilling of "auxiliary" -- or was that the Welsh version?
Reply to
Andy Wade

"Andy Hall" wrote | At one time I had some British colleagues who worked and lived in | Switzerland (in the Swiss-German part) in an apartment building. | The rules were quite strict. There was a communal washing machine | and each apartment (they were small) had its appointed day to do | laundry Woe betide anybody who didn't leave the detergent dispenser | spotless.

I am very tempted to suggest to my upstairs neighbour landlord that she get some Swiss tenants.

The last lot left after the couple broke up, according to the landlord. "That would explain the vase-smashing 'You stole my wean ya bas' arguments at 3 a.m." I told her.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think Andy is IMM. He's just playing a long sick joke.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

No I never.... (woops).

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Try Eucalyptus, evergreen, makes Leylandii look slow growers, smell nice when cut. Hit 30' in very few years, seem to be indestructible. Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

not so dense tho'

is a good source of info and trees