Re: safer footwear: user views sought please.

Page 1 of 2
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:15:12 +0100, Andy Dingley

Do they still make those, I don't get out and don't watch TV to know for sure, but I'm guessing this is the ice cream you're on about here!? ;O)

They're very good for distinguishing one from another but beyond that I get skeptical!

And that's why! ;O)

How on earth did you manage to end up with them?

Right, silly devils, but I can appreciate their problem. Last thing I'd ever do is offer the chancellor an extra bite for free. Not after he's spent all those years teaching me how "being mean" works, it'd be impolite, and would suggest I hadn't been paying attention to anything he'd said or done! ;O)

Me neither, and in view of the wear, I was wondering about the "steel on the outside" variety. Easier to get welded to something by mistake I suppose?

Yes, spotted that type; was a bit concerned that small hot items could drop in the tops under the right/wrong circumstances, and then I might feel a bit foolish for having chosen that style!

Had some good stuff from farm shops in the past. All of it still exists too, of course! ;O)

Ah, had wondered if that might not be the case, thanks for confirming it.

No realistic choice, as I'm house bound. But the point is taken. It's why I try to find out as much as possible by other means, this group being part of that.

I tend to order two or more for size choices and return what's no good, but I tend to check with suppliers in advance that's they find it acceptable, it's amazing how many are happy to help like that. Takes a little more patience all round, but I generally get there in the end!

Yes, looks like the way to go. Thanks
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
Gnube wrote:

DM grip-trax are good, 10 hours a day, 5 days/week, no blisters and good support with air-wair cushioning, I get about two working years out of them at that rate, and still useful for gardening when they are replaced..
Price isn't a guide, and some names are not worth it any price.
niel.

Noted, and thanks.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
Gnube wrote:

No probs, I should add I'm 17 stones and I use a 9mm cork wedge in one boot to compensate for a leg length imbalance, even then the rate of wear is very good, I can get through a pair of lightweight walking boots just being a "tourist" not walking great distances in under a month....
Niel.

my big toes wear through my socks very quickly (new socks become holey socks within a day sometimes). Has anyone found a good solution to that? Other than very thick socks which aren't good in the summer. (yes I do cut my toenails short!)
--
Tim Mitchell

Tim Mitchell wrote:

Try lots of different styles and you may find one the right shape for your feet, if your employer won't pay for better quality (often they only want the cheapest bought) I'd suggest involving unions or the HSE as PPE must be fit for use and that includes how well it fits. My manager hated me buying my DMs on his budget (it looks bad apparently), except they last longer than most of the cheaper brands and over time actually cost very little more, the increased productivity that comfort assists is more difficult to prove.
Niel.

Being happy can play a big part in being healthy, and health is in the HSE, and it's first in the queue! Worth a try if you got no other ammo I guess! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

I am my employer, so there's no problem there! The boots are actually very comfortable, and I can't feel my toes rubbing the inside or anything, somehow they just wear through...
--
Tim Mitchell

File the toenails rather than cut them, or file after cutting. You can then get smooth tips which shouldn't poke through the socks.
--
Frank Erskine

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:37:22 +0000 (UTC), Frank Erskine

Mouse sander with a 2000 grade W&Dry pad works well here - DAMHIKT! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}
writes

Have you tried two pairs of thin socks? This works to stop blisters by reducing friction. It may just help slow down the wear on your socks as well.
Howard Neil
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 18:59:07 +0100, "Howard Neil" <hneil@REMOVE TO REPLY.co.uk> wrote:

In that vein, when boots are new, putting plasters on where you expect blisters, before they happen, can be pretty effective as far as I know, since you don't get them, but I am pretty sure I would have! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

My favourite tip (and I NEVER got blisters despite long walks and marches) was from a Royal Marine sergeant. Thick wool socks, dusted with foot powder. But, underneath, a pair of old nylons (or cut down tights) - yes, that's what they get up to in the Marines!
But seriously...for me, ZERO blisters and a lot of footslogging.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk

Oh thanks, now I got my head full of the mental image of that old Monty Python sketch, from the film I think it was, the Pooftah Soldiers, or some such! Ooohh, get her, two, three, four, left, left, left righ..... etc.! ;O)
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

I have it on reasonably reliable authority that police motorbike riders wear nylons in the winter for warmth. There was an occasion in, I believe Leicestershire, where one of these gentlemen had an accident and came off of his bike. The paramedics had some amusement when cutting through clothing to get to the site of the wounds.......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

_All_ bikers wear tights in the winter.
Helly Hansen's marketing genius wasn't in inventing the "Smelly Helly", favoured garment of hairy-arsed climbers everywhere. They realised that super-macho types would pay huge amounts for a pair of tights, if they came in "manly" packaging.

Bit like Dyson's marketing genius being packaging a vacuum cleaner in a form that would appear to bloke's techy toys side, and then slapping a similarly large price tag on it!
cheers Richard
-- Richard Sampson
To be fair, Helly Hansen also switched the material from nylon to polypropylene. As any skier knows, you can rot nylon if you sweat into it for a week solid 8-)
Polypropylene just evolves and will fight back. There's a climbing hut in the Pennines that no-one dare enter, as it's still guarded by a vicious pair of unwashed Smellies.
Tim Mitchell wrote:

If your feet are on the big side, then avoid the one-size-fits-all (6-11) socks. They'll be at full stretch and won't last long. This is probably obvious!
Edwin.

Blimey, that's going some!
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}