Re: S.A.D. lightbox

Anyone made one, or seen plans for one online.

>MIL in need, and I've been asked to make it... > >Niel.

Niel,

This can be unwise to do without proper medical information and without a correct specification from MIL's clinician.

I personally know a number of people in the Nordic countries with this problem. There the incidence of Seasonal Affective Disorder is quite common because of the low light levels and short days during the winter months.

There are a number of issues:

- While lightbox therapy is well known and effective for some patients, it isn't for all.

- The light levels, times and spectrum required are important. The high light levels often required could cause eye damage if the equipment is not built correctly or the right number and type of lamps used, and the correct distances observed.

- Unfortunately this market seems to attract a large number of snake oil manufacturers offering all kinds of products and making all sorts of claims for them. This includes items to put in your own box.

So.... I wouldn't trust anything that you find on the web with a search, but would start with getting a product recommendation from the medically qualified person treating MIL. Then if it makes economic sense, consider replicating that exactly.

Otherwise, it is possible that you will make something ineffective or possibly dangerous.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

What I have found helpfull with minor problems, is to have the bedroom painted white or light pastel colours, and use a couple 23W compact floursent (GE) bulbs to light the room.

Reply to
James Salisbury

Thanks Guys, atleast this group is helpful, several others I sub to would just flame....

Niel.

Reply to
sue.fagan

I can't see how it would be dangerous to stare at a pleasantly bright light for a few hours a day.

I have SAD (and hate the abbreviation) but it didn't work for me personally even though I had a SAD approved unit.

JD

Reply to
John Doe

Hi

All halogen bulbs are full spectrum, cheap, and easy to use as uplighters etc.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I've been using a couple of 'daylight simulation' compact flourescent bulbs. These are a much bluer white than usual. They are usually sold for crafts and hobbies that need accurate colour rendition.

are the manufacturer

where I purchased mine from as they were somewhat cheaper 8-)

Tim Morley

Reply to
Tim Morley