Re: Rotten egg smell in bedroom

I'm looking for ideas as to what may be causing the rotten egg smell

> in our bedroom. We get a distinct smell of rotten egg near one wall, > opposite the window, near the door. The wall has a radiator on it. We > first noticed the smell sometime around when we decorated (lining > paper on 1930s plaster, wickes emulsion on the walls/ceiling and gloss > on the woodwork, cork underlay and bamboo flooring). > > The strength of the smell varies. It seems strongest at the end of a > hot day, like yesterday evening - the room stank! Sniffing various > wall, furniture etc doesn't help - non of them seem to be giving off > the smell, at least to our noses. > > Anyone have any further bright ideas?

Hydrogen Sulphide from a pinhole in the radiator. R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember matthelliwell saying something like:

Don't eat boiled eggs for supper.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

such that gas escapes having less density than water before you appear to have a water leak?

Reply to
BigGirlsBlouse

Hydrogen suphide is toxic in higher concentrations (over 50 ppm). take care.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

I appreciate that your description of the smell doesn't point to an electrical fixture overheating as the smell of that is typically slightly fishy, but have you checked for that.

The idea of H2S from the radiator is plausible - would be wothwhile openin the air bleed hole and seeing if that is the source of the smell as H2S is I belie one of the gas products of radiator corrosion, and I suppose it is possible to get some sort of perforation of the steel that is allowing gas molecules to escape but not the liquid ones.

Rob.

Reply to
Rob G

Yep, visually inspected the fittings as well as sniffing around, all seems ok.

I'll try and bleed the rad, never smelt anything like that when I've bled them the odd occasion before but worth a try. Didn't know H2S was a by-product of the corrosion, thought it was just oxgen and hydrogen from the water. No sign of any leaking but I'll try anything to avoid repainting.

Reply to
matthelliwell

Thats one thought. Another is a dead rodent in the interstitial spaces :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Open the bleed valve & if 'air' comes out, try & light it. Hydrogen Sulphide is flammable as in lighting farts.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The gas from radiators is hydrogen not hydrogen sulphide. Hydrogen gas is highly flammable and has no smell. I'm "rusty" :-) on the exact chemistry but I seem to remember it is created by the hot water reacting with the iron in radiators with a lack of oxygen present which creates hydrogen gas and black ferric oxide rather than the more usual ferrous oxide (rust). It is the black sludge you drain from heating systems. Interestingly this black form of ferric oxide will also respond to a magnetic field like iron filings.

Reply to
David in Normandy

It also numbs your sense of smell in higher concentrations, so you can easily be under the misapprehension that it's gone, when it hasn't.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

IANAChemist, but I understood H2S was produced by anaerobic bacteria in the central heating... nicely hot, wet and the same old stuff going around and around, but no oxygen.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

It is also hydrogen sulphide, as there are plenty of odd sulphur ions in water, and its not unknown in steel either. Hydrogen is quite good at reducing sulphates to oxides ..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) saying something like:

Blimey. Who knew farts were so deadly.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Reminds me of the notice you used to see on busses, "Please alight from both ends". I always though it was laking some youtube URLs underneath as reference examples...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel