Re roofing a conservatory

I have decided that after 15 years the roof has to be replaced - well it has moved, cracked and is letting in water.

I have decided to up the spec from 10mm twinwall sheet to 16mm triplewall sheet and all the sheets are being cut to size by the supplier. I have chosen aluminium cover rafter bars that have to be screwed through the bar and its rubber gasket into the wooden rafter, bearing in mind that each sheet will be 2.1m long and 95cm wide, what is the best way to reach the screw holes?

Any other tips on installing the sheets are greatly welcome.

Cheers Steve

Reply to
80/20

We used this triplewall on an enormous half-underground greenhouse (long story !).

It's very strong stuff, we used the ali cover bars 'up & down' the sheets and then the 'button'-type fixings that install through 15mm (??) holes drilled in the triplewall.

The triplewall is quite strong enough to take my weight (12 stone-ish !) when I climb up to clean the algae off - though I do tend to keep towards the edges where the sheet is supported - will depend on how you've supported the sheets. A simple board to spread the weight - possibly with something anti-slip underneath like carpet underlay - will make life easier..

Hope this helps Adrian Suffolk UK ======return email munged================= take out the papers and the trash to reply

Reply to
Adrian Brentnall

Thanks for your reply, just seen the weather forecast - may not get done this weekend.

Reply to
80/20

Same as the other answer, put a plank or something to spread the load. It's tough stuff.

One thing that nearly caught me out once - are you *certain* the roof is exactly square (all right angled)? It would be a shame to get to the last sheet and find it had to be cut skewed to fit properly...

Reply to
PC Paul

Yes I had checked that doing the diagonal trick, it's not quite square with one diagonal being 15mm longer than the other so over a 2010mm roof length I think it should be fine.

Cheers Steve

Reply to
80/20

What size are the rafters? If less than substantial, which is often the case with polycarbonate rooves, consider temporary strengthening, such as using a couple of acroprops to divide the span.

Then, a couple of planks over the top, well secured. Always ensure you have a helper to call the ambulance if you're on any roof.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle