Re: Roof Maintenance Questions

tiles on the gable end of my roof.

> >I need some help with the following: > >1. Should I remove the old cement completely first, or just chip it >back a couple of inches(it seems to go back about 4-5 inches)?

An inch should be enough.

2. What mix should I use for the cement, should I use any additives or >coatings to make it more waterproof/longlasting?

I'd use 1SBR/1 water. If you have trouble finding it (it's around £25 per 5L if you do), PVA would probably do the job.

Reply to
stuart noble

If you do not remove all the existing verge mortar, then you will be back up there in a couple of years time repointing again.

Use a 4:1 mix, and some rendering (sharp) sand will toughen the mortar up and give it extra life. Also add some PVA.

Remember to take the tiles off and physically rebed them - don't leave them on and attempt to push the mortar under them.

Steel verge clips can be obtained from tile stockests.

Plastic verge cappings are propriatary, and are made to suite different tiles. Check out the Marley and Redland (LaFarge) websites.

In the past we have used a continuous white plastic verge cover which matches plastic bargeboards. I don't have the contact details to hand, but I recall that it comes in 5 or 6m lengths and completely covers the verge of any roof tile - no more repointing. I think it is manufactured by a company in south wales - European Plastics? and distributed to a few regional suppliers.

dg

Reply to
dg