Re: Right angle drilling revisited

I eventually gave in and bought an 'angle driver' from CPC.

> > Not actually a right angle, more like 110 degrees, but you can adjust > your drill position to compensate for that. > > Elsewhere bought a set of cross point screwdriver bits, 3 flat wood > drill bits and, most important from my point of view, 4 twist drills > with hex shafts to fit the angle driver. > And was able to shorten the latter by cutting off the hex part of the > shaft just after the dimple made (I think) when they crimped the round > drill bit shaft inside the hex shaft. > > So I was able to drill at right angles in a space about 4" high, and > now have a storage heater whose legs are fastened through laminate into > floorboards with a couple of M6 x 40mm lag screws (if that's the proper > description). > No risk now that it will fall over. > > The gadget might be useful to others, so I'm answering my own question > here.

I got one from Aldidl a couple of years ago and had never used it. As it was rough as f*** I'd stripped it and put in some decent grease. Today, moving a batten holder along 1 joist, I'd got the 12V Mak in, put the battery on it and then found I still couldn't get the bit in. Remembered the unused toy - it worked a treat and didn't grumble at all. Well worth the few quids it cost.

Reply to
PeterC

Think Lidl have a right angle drill adaptor on offer this week.

I have one of those Wicks cordless drills where the chuck sort of unplugs and you can fit a right angle drive between it and the body. Can be locked at near any position relative to the drill body too. That plus some cut down flat wood bits is great for drilling through joists etc for pipes or whatever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Saw the poster - after I'd bought the CPC thing. The LIDL item may well be better. Might be really a right angle, might have shorter twist drill bits (mine were from a 'Black Forge' kit bought in a bargain shop), might not need a hex shaft for the twist drills.

Sounds like a handy gadget. Until CPC listed their angle driver I had only a cheap and too-bulky right angle drive which attaches to the chuck of a drill, plus standard Bosch and cordless drills.

I do have one other similar storage heater to fit (to be done Real Soon Now, as they say in the U.S.), but that's all for the foreseeable future, so don't want to spend more.

Reply to
Windmill

Yup - the beauty of the chuck unplugging is the whole thing is pretty compact.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)