Re: RFD uk.d-i-y

Page 8 of 8

Only a very tiny number of 'net users know about News. The vast majority of people think the Internet is the Web.
Andy Hall wrote:

Except when you're in work, with no news server inside the firewall that doesn't much like nntp and only lookout as a client, with the relevant bits knackered anyway.
--
Chris
-----
Gnube wrote:

No, though this ng has helped me with a few problems in work in the past! I must admit I was thinking of news access in general though.
--
Chris
-----

Apart from all the other reasons people have given not to change things; you should be aware that it's virtually impossible to kill off an ng once it's been created, especially an active one like this. So in practice you'd just get uk.d-i-y coexisting with your new group (and sundry others which already exist with a similar content) which would be far more confusing for everybody...
David
On 18 Nov 2003 10:34:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) wrote:

alt.the.uk.diy.newsgroup.is.called.uk.d-i-y anyone? ;o)
--
www.aardvarkgallery.com
Greetings cards, prints, textiles, books.
Kim Andrews wrote:

nah. Alt.sheds.die.die.die more likely.
Philosopher contained the following:

nah, alt.sheds.qb.it.lbhefrys
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
Lobster wrote:

How long ago was sci.electronics broken up and killed off?
--
Chris
-----

Errr - you tell me!
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF8&safe=images&group=sci.electronics
QED
David
Lobster wrote:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF8&safe=images&group=sci.electronics
That's my point - it was theoretically got rid of years ago when sci.electronics.* were created, but poeple still post to it and google archives it.
--
Chris
-----

Sorry, Chris... I thought you were disagreeing with my point that old newsgroups never die!! David
Lobster wrote:

That's quite all right - I should have made it clearer!
--
Chris
-----

Oh, gawd, people aren't STILL prattling on about splitting the group in uk.net.news.config without having the good grace to post here and let us know what they're proposing, are they?
The last time this came up here, about two months ago, the VAST majority of regular contributors were completely against the splitting of the group.
The only people who seemed to advocate splitting the group were rarely to be seen posting in these parts.
So, what's the current state of this discussion?
Am I going to wake up one morning and find that uk.d-i-y is no longer, and noone had the good grace to let us know?
Richard -- Richard Sampson

Nope. Just someone who's never been seen in unnc before (ttbomk) happening upon the thread from September, afaics.
Adam
--
: And it goes against the grain of building small tools.
Innocent, Your Honor. Perl users build small tools all day long.

Ah, ok, sorry to folks of unnc!
You see - having just made such a nice soapbox I thought I ought to use it!!!
Mind at rest again (it's natural state).
thanks Richard
-- Richard Sampson
On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 23:31:47 -0000, RichardS

I can't see a parent to Ralph Corderoy's post, that was the first I can see in unnc.
If it were a real RFD then it would have been posted to unna (you do take unna, I assume? If not, you only have yourself to blame for not knowing what is actually being proposed).

No idea, but AFAICS there is /no/ official RFD about this.

No. Any RFD affecting uk.d-i-y, let alone a CFV or FT, will be posted to uk.net.news.announce and to uk.d-i-y. What this current thread is about I have no idea, it's the first I've heard of it.
Chris C

I posted the message around 2 months ago, I was not the original poster, but mearly crossposted the message to the apropriate place. Personally I am not really bothered about what happens to the group, though I admit DIY looks better than D-I-Y to me anyway.
Andrew.

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:13:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@inputplus.co.uk (Ralph Corderoy) wrote:

It's not going to happen. Thread ends, move along now, nothing to see here.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}