Re: RFD uk.d-i-y

Page 7 of 8
from Ralph Corderoy contained the following:

You'd have to create the new group, uk.rec.diy, and then rmgroup uk.d-i-y. The second bit may be tricky.
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
Geoff Berrow wrote:

Can't it be done in one RFD? It would be a bit pointless otherwise.
--
John Briggs

I noticed that Message-ID:
contained the following:

Sure. It's just that I doubt it would be easy to remove uk.d-i-y
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

That's odd. I could have sworn that "rec" stood for recreation.
--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:14:27 +0000, Paul Giverin wrote:

There are many "DIY" recreations. Allegedly.
--
John Bean

I get to go to lots of overseas places, like Canada (Britney Spears)

One particular one being by people who want to meddle with the structure of news groups which are working perfectly well just for the sake of it.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 22:59:12 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

Sigh. Acute irony deficiency. Never mind.
--
John Bean

I never knew my father was an alcoholic
Bean contained the following:

Irony is for amateurs, for a proper job you need steely.
--
Geoff Berrow (put thecat out to email)
It's only Usenet, no one dies.
On Tuesday, in article
snipped-for-privacy@ckdog.co.uk "Geoff Berrow" wrote:

Depends on *who* did the bodge^Wdiy in the first place...
It may just fall over if you blow on it..
--
Paul Carpenter | snipped-for-privacy@pcserv.demon.co.uk
<http://www.pcserv.demon.co.uk/ Main Site
paul$@pcserv.demon.co.uk "Paul Carpenter" writes:

You've got a /great/ name to be saying that, Paul!
[fx:waves]
--
Brian {Hamilton Kelly} snipped-for-privacy@dsl.co.uk
"We can no longer stand apart from Europe if we would. Yet we are
snipped-for-privacy@dsl.co.uk "Brian {Hamilton Kelly}" wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^ It may well be doing that before falling over....
--
Paul Carpenter | snipped-for-privacy@pcserv.demon.co.uk
<http://www.pcserv.demon.co.uk/ Main Site
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 19:10:27 +0000, Geoff Berrow

Indeed, I'll object to the second part now to save time later.
Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

I can't see there's a problem - if you do a Google group search for content "DIY" in groups uk* (what most newscomers might do to catch everything) you get it straight away. It also means it is found by people who actively want a DIY ng.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it (IMHO).
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 11:26:34 -0000, Bob Mannix wrote:

Now that's hardly the spirit of diy is it? ;-)
--
John Bean

I like to tell people I have the heart of a small boy.

Damn, he got me! :o)
Bob Mannix wrote:

I typed DIY into my news reader, and this group was not on the list.
Most people I know don't even know about Google Groups, and just assume Google is Google. (but they are the same people who don't know about usenet and newsreader software).

content
you
want
Well, (and at the risk of prolonging a pointless argument :o) ), if you just use the ordinary Google and search for "DIY newsgroup" you get it as well -
/duck /tongue-in-cheek it it not better to have some lower limits on the abilities of people coming on any ng? /untongue-in-cheek /unduck
--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Well it does depend on where you type DIY into your newsreader! :-)

On 18 Nov 2003 14:20:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk wrote:
> [...]
Lesson No 1 in computing. Two Short Planks have nothing on a Computer.
--
Dave Fawthrop < snipped-for-privacy@hyphenologist.co.uk> Killfile and Anti Troll FAQs
at http://www.hyphenologist.co.uk/killfile .

Google Groups is on a tab on the home page, not that it is that useful as a news reading method.