Re: RFD uk.d-i-y

ah> As in trucks one week and cars the next?

Still too abrupt. I think people should be told to drive 1 inch further to the right each day until they are all in the right hand lane.

Or maybe it would be better if everyoine drove on the other side for the first 5 minutes of their journey the first day, 10 minutes the second etc. until they were used to it.

Reply to
Richard Caley

More like uk.d-i-y.not.for.snotty.uni.grads

Cheers Clive

Reply to
Clive Summerfield

You've not been on the M25 recently.... It was like driving in the continent....

Reply to
Fishter

In message , Peter Ashby writes

There was a suggestion some years ago that on motorways and duel carriageways vehicles should drive in the right hand carriageway. There were a number of advantages to this. Firstly, vehicles in a contra-flow would have the slower moving lanes adjacent to each other so that any accidents would be less serious. Secondly, as slower moving traffic would be adjacent to the central reservation the space between the carriageways could be widened when necessary and service areas placed in the middle. There would only be the need for one set of service areas each time, instead of one on each side of the motorway as is often the case. There were other advantages which unfortunately I now can't recall.

Reply to
Mike Clayton

tnp> However a group fpr IMM alone might be an improvement.

tnp> uk.d-i-y.chips.on.my.shoulder or something.

He can't have one, the aristocracy owns all the group names.

Reply to
Richard Caley

Maybe some people could practice by driving in reverse on the other side of the road so that they didn't get so confused

Reply to
geoff

In message , Christian McArdle writes

Well the continentals could do it - You always hear reports on the German traffic reports about a ghost driver on the A9 pr somewhere

Reply to
geoff

"Christian McArdle" wrote | > As in trucks one week and cars the next? | I was going to suggest odd numbered number plates one week and even numbers | the next, but I suppose it'll do.

Perhaps it could be piloted in Scotland first, like the Poll Tax, or in certain big cities like London and then Edinburgh, like the Congestion Charge.

It might be better if the Highways Agency changed the motorways and major trunk roads first, with the local councils changing the minor roads at a later date. This would give them more time to update the many more signs there are on minor roads.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Mike Clayton" wrote | There was a suggestion some years ago that on motorways and duel | carriageways vehicles should drive in the right hand carriageway. There | were a number of advantages to this. Firstly, vehicles in a contra-flow | would have the slower moving lanes adjacent to each other so that any | accidents would be less serious. Secondly, as slower moving traffic | would be adjacent to the central reservation the space between the | carriageways could be widened when necessary and service areas placed in | the middle. There would only be the need for one set of service areas | each time, instead of one on each side of the motorway as is often the | case. There were other advantages which unfortunately I now can't | recall.

Having the hard shoulder in the middle would mean that only one was required, and rescue vehicles would be able to reach a stranded motorist or accident from both directions, speeding up response times. If the same number of emergency telephones were brought together into the central hard shoulder there would be half as far to walk to each one. It would be far easier to do U turns across the central reservation thus enabling traffic jams at accidents to be cleared more quickly.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

A good many of them don't work forwards either from what I hear on the travel reports on the radio. ;O)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Indeed so. uk.d-i-y is a "legacy" group, from the days when uk.* was less organized than it is now. If you want to start adding subgroups beneath it without creating a uk.rec.d-i-y subhierarchy first, then you would need to convince the Committee first that such would be in accord with a sensible hierarchical structure.

Reply to
Charles Lindsey

the fastest lane of traffic.

However, given that many drivers are clueless when it comes to lane discipline, and that the inside lane seems seldom used, this could arguably be the case at present....

cheers Richard

-- Richard Sampson

RichardS

In message , RichardS writes

Suits me fine - less problems getting across the other two lanes

Reply to
geoff

In message , Gnube writes

Get your priorities right - lawyers and accountants first

Reply to
geoff

You could drop them down or bring them up into the middle of the carriageway..... This would be easy to do with junctions where the connections are from a roundabout over the top of the motorway.... .andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Ah, a variation on the old B Ark ploy....

Reply to
Bob Eager

Happens a lot on the LA freeways; quite disconcerting at first.

Ali

Reply to
Ali Hopkins

I noticed that Message-ID: from Charles Lindsey contained the following:

They would only have to say 'uk.telecom'.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

In fact, it would be easier, as you would only need 2 2-way slip roads running from the middle, rather than 4 1-way slip roads.

The biggest flaw I can see is that there could be confusion when a single carriageway upgrades to a dual. There would have to be some sort of crossover. Short sections of dual carriageway would be impractical, leading to some dual carriageways being one way and some the other.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle
[snip new groups discussion]

It's often used on groups where common sense suggests that there is a logical split between topics, but people refuse to split the group!

People have complained that they wouldn't read the sub-groups. There's an obvious answer to this: cross post. Electrical queries go to uk.d-i-y and uk.d-i-y.electrical etc etc. It's _much_ easier to get people to cross post than it is to get them to follow a scheme of tagging.

So, if you want to follow all discussions, just follow the main group as now. If you want to concentrate on a particular topic, read a sub-group.

I've only used uk.d-i-y for electrical matters so far, and it would have been very helpful to have uk.d-i-y.electrical (or whatever) to refer to, rather than wading through everything else. Whether other splits are useful, I don't know.

Just my £0.02. I don't expect anyone else to agree, or even take any notice!

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson