Re: RFD uk.d-i-y

Page 2 of 8

That sounds scary. I think it would have to be phased in.
Christian.
from Christian McArdle contained the following:

Oh definitely. Lorries and buses one week, cars and vans the next.
--
Geoff Berrow
It's only Usenet, no one dies.

stopped driving on the left and started driving on the right. If you were on the road at the time you were supposed to pull over at 5 to the hour and not move again until 5 past.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

I don't think it could be done now. Too many road signs and carefully designed junctions that just don't work backwards.
Christian.

That's the solution! we change the side of the road you drive on, but everyone drives in reverse! that is just brilliant Christian. I suggest you get onto the dept for transport right away.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

carriageways vehicles should drive in the right hand carriageway. There were a number of advantages to this. Firstly, vehicles in a contra-flow would have the slower moving lanes adjacent to each other so that any accidents would be less serious. Secondly, as slower moving traffic would be adjacent to the central reservation the space between the carriageways could be widened when necessary and service areas placed in the middle. There would only be the need for one set of service areas each time, instead of one on each side of the motorway as is often the case. There were other advantages which unfortunately I now can't recall.
--
Mike Clayton
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honour is what you know about

Mike Clayton
Reputation is what other people know about you. Honour is what you know about

geoff

Sadly, the primary flaw of this plan is that feeder roads would always join the fastest lane of traffic.
However, given that many drivers are clueless when it comes to lane discipline, and that the inside lane seems seldom used, this could arguably be the case at present....
cheers Richard -- Richard Sampson

geoff

You could drop them down or bring them up into the middle of the carriageway..... This would be easy to do with junctions where the connections are from a roundabout over the top of the motorway.... .andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Happens a lot on the LA freeways; quite disconcerting at first.
Ali

In fact, it would be easier, as you would only need 2 2-way slip roads running from the middle, rather than 4 1-way slip roads.
The biggest flaw I can see is that there could be confusion when a single carriageway upgrades to a dual. There would have to be some sort of crossover. Short sections of dual carriageway would be impractical, leading to some dual carriageways being one way and some the other.
Christian.

be a problem.
Where will we go for our consultancy fee when this proposal turns up in a government discussion paper next year?
--
John Eastwood

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 17:40:25 +0100, John Eastwood

Contact the Marquis of Queensbury. He sets the rules......
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk says...

????
Is that not the definition of a dual carriageway? One road where traffic goes in one direction and another road, separated from the first, upon which traffic moves in the other direction? Does it really matter when the road upon which you are travelling is already, effectively, one way?
--
Alan LeHun

It might when dual carriageways aren't limited access. You'll get lots of crashes when people turn into them from side streets and each one has traffic travelling in different directions, so people look the wrong way.
Christian.

S.I.2002 No.3113:
"dual carriageway road" means a road which comprises a central reservation
"single carriageway road" means a road which is not a dual carriageway road;
"central reservation" means - (a) any land between the carriageways of a road comprising two carriageways; or (b) any permanent work (other than a traffic island) in the carriageway of a road, which separates the carriageway or, as the case may be, the part of the carriageway which is to be used by traffic moving in one direction from the carriageway or part of the carriageway which is to be used (whether at all times or at particular times only) by traffic moving in the other direction;
--
Clive D.W. Feather | Internet Expert | Work: < snipped-for-privacy@demon.net>
Tel: +44 20 8371 1138 | Demon Internet | Home: < snipped-for-privacy@davros.org>

Easy. Stay on the same side of the road we're on now, just drive backwards.
!detroS
Paul.
--
A .sig is all well and good, but it's no substitute for a personality

JMS: "SFX is a fairly useless publication on just about every imaginable front.