Re: Result!

That's very old news. The Spanish have been complaining about this particucular practice by many bottlers - not jsut discounters - for years. ISTR that Tesco and Asda got pulled up on it as well.

That site of course is hardly unbiased - and it's dated 2005, I see.

Reply to
Fran

Tesco's been in business since the 1920s. Lidl/Aldi entered the UK in the early 1990s, IIRC. They haven't done badly, from a standing start.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

English isn't your first language?

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

They're doing both. Which makes huge sense.

Reply to
Fran

No, it can't. Tesco Basics are generally seen as cheap and nasty - unfairly, in some respects. The pseudo branding practiced by the discounters is not marketed as low end in the same way as Basics.

Reply to
Fran

Yup. And don't get me started on Spanish orange juice adulteration.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

It's plain to everyone else that I was talking about adulterated food products, not cheap crap screwdrivers.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

OK. So we have a survey of one Aldi and one Tesco....

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

Correct.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

And I seem to recall that Tesco had disastrous times in the late 70s/early

80s, hm?

Lidl have more stores than Asda in the UK, although far less square footage, of course. Lidl came here in 1994.

Reply to
Fran

I'll see your OJ and raise you German wine with antifreeze! Or was that the Oshies?

Reply to
Fran

In my limited experience of Lidl they also scan goods their tills very quickly indeed. ISTR reading that staff are under severe pressure to work very quickly in the German owned supermarkets - just part of the expected performance levels. Waitrose, Tescos, Sainsburys and M&S are much slower IME - unless you get the one "champion scanner" who delights in throwing goods through so quickly that you've packed one item into a carrier by the time they've scanned 37!

Reply to
Paul Corfield

Yes really.

Retail markets consist of many segments - mass, premium and discount to name a few.

Geographically, markets vary considerably for local cultural and regulatory reasons.

The German situation has legislation about below cost selling for example.

Mmm....

Which is why it will ultimately fail. One cannot transplant a business model and ignore local conditions. This is why Lidl and Aldi have around 2% of the market and it has hardly changed and why Walmart has pulled out of Germany.

One doesn't need to be "involved" to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh right, so Germany is not the same as the UK when it proves you wrong but is the same when it proves that you might have a point - I think that is called trying to have it both ways...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Blimey, that's dragging out proper old stuff...

It was (cheap) Austrian wine, and AFAIR that was back in the early to mid eighties. Almost ruined their wine-growing industry.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Note that a bunch of Iceland premises were acquired by M&S Simply Food, so Iceland is a failing model as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

.. and have failed.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In your dreams...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Yes, but it doesn't seem to be yours.

Reply to
:Jerry:

By preference, I self-scan, saving myself the arse-ache at the checkout. But if I do have to go through the full checkout experience, I've no interest in the staff being able to scan faster than I can pack.

Reply to
ogden