Re: Result!

Sainsbury's distribution system was cutting edge at the time.

Sainsbury's lost market share mainly for two reasons: they built fewer stores than Tesco, and they tried to compete on price when their core market were people that thought they were paying for quality produce.

Once the slide started, they reduced staffing in stores, and removed the store manager's control over the "differentiators" he sold, so that those customers that they had left got pissed off at the sudden lack of service and increase in empty shelves, and also went elsewhere because that item they used to always buy was no longer available, because the store they shopped in no longer sold it.

If you shopped in an 'up market' Sainsbury's in the mid-late 90s that was designated a 'value' store by head office, or vice versa, it was painfully obvious, and you stopped shopping there. Crucially, they didn't attract new customers to replace those they lost.

The funny thing was that at the time, if you spoke to anyone that worked at Blackfriars, they would tell you it was a dumb thing to do, but the board (or rather, the board's underlings) had hired a bunch of consultants...

Pretty much the same thing (hire know-nothing consultants) that M&S did a few years later much to the businesses detriment.

Pretty much the same thing the Blair government did too, now I think about it.

Reply to
Simian

It all depends on what type of barcode it is, and what it's on dunnit. I mean, not having a clean barcode is only part of the solution, decent scanners from a reputable company like NCR or Intermec is another part of the solution, but the biggest part is using the right barcode and having it printed on the right media.

I mean, there's no point tattooing a Marconi snowflake directly onto a potato is there? All those little eyes would ruin the scan.

Besides, WTF would you know about barcode scanning?

Reply to
doetnietcomputeren

No. TJ's has some 280 stores in half of the states in the US.

What's the question?

Some of it is, yes.

I wouldn't know, I don't need to go more than 5 minutes to find a strawberry field. Forever.

Reply to
doetnietcomputeren

Stuck-on edible RFID tags.

Reply to
platypus

Funny you should say that - I've packed more things in empty wine boxes than just about anything else, including Jiffy bags.

Very sturdy. The problem is all the wine you have to drink before you can use the box.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

I cannot believe that you are really this stupid and ignorant.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

No, they didn't.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

FFS learn how to spell it, as you've got it wrong in posting after posting.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

I might take issue with that, actually. Depends on how you interpret 'real'.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

Only something like 20 years, anyway.

That's recent, in geological terms. Or in terms of your speed of thinking.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

Well, the two of you are well suited to each other then.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

Sorr-ee! But yes, you did. So you lied.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

You remember incorrectly. But that's no surprise.

What happened in the late 1980s/early 1990s was that a recession hit. Simian has explained one reason for the debacle.

Sainsbury's distribution was, as he also says, cutting edge at the time.

The second was that, during the recession, Sainsbury retrenched (as Smian has explained). In addition, they reduced spec and thus price on a lot of their range. Baldly, quality took a hit.

At exactly the same time, Tesco was implementing a quality upgrade. I don't think this was planned to coincide with the recession, but it did anyway. Remember the Dudley Moore ads for the frr range chickens and the rest? That was all part of it.

The recession ended and Tesco came out perfectly ready to snatch the lead from a chain that had misread the market.

In short, you know *nothing* about the subject.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

Sorry, but no I didn't, and you are wasting your time.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Tart. :)

Reply to
Fran

Problem? Not here!

Reply to
Fran

Short answer: a butcher, for example, who buys locally, knows his supply chain, that sort of thing. Can advise on cooking, prep, etc. etc.

Reply to
Fran

OK, which one?

Asking if this was a common feeling, I suppose. Forgot this x-posted - English isn't my first language.

Reply to
Fran

Yes you did, no he isn't.

Reply to