Re: Result!

Take a look at the patronising tone of your post. In the context of that, the response was measured.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It hasn't done so far but that doesn't mean it never will do.

Do you want to give me a hint as to where I can find evidence that Morrisons sandwiches will make me ill so I can sue the arse of them if it happens to me?

Reply to
Andy Bonwick

No, they're not.

They're putting up pretentious designer shops for brand obsessed idiots with more money than sense.

Right.

So you're going to dismiss a quote that I've pulled up, because it doesn't fit well with your views? - yet it's fine for you to pull up quotes (although I can't find said quotes) to use them for your own argument?

Erm, well, I, and the rest of the market, and no doubt the shoppers, do.

Because they're offering a smaller format local store for 'top up' shopping.

They're not exactly replacing Spar, as they're bigger shops on the outskirts of the towns, however, the Spar stores are suffering and some are actually closing.

Reply to
SteveH

It's irrelevant. I'm a customer, not a shareholder. I already explained that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I understand that.

But a boom for you would barely register on my sales reports.

It's a completely different market, as well you know. Or perhaps you don't.

Reply to
SteveH

Not bad at all.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I suspect you live in a pikey area and have been shopping at a Morrison's that has had it's range tweaked to suit.

Because that doesn't tally with my experience - but I avoid shopping at Ebbw Vale in favour of Rogerstone.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah. OK.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

So he's as much of a plonker on other topics as this one? I can't say I'm surprised.

Now that made me giggle.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

But you've just said you considered them. Whether they're irrelevant or not, I'd love to know how you did that, because as SteveH has pointed out, they didn't make any losses.

So how did you 'consider' them?

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

I don't know where you're shopping, but it ain't at a Morrisons. Or not my local one. I popped down there for a 'Beat the Budget' booze shop on Saturday.

Bumped into a friend in the booze section who was on the same quest. We browsed the bottled ales section for a quarter of an hour, discussing the various merits of those we'd tried and those we ought to try.

It was a very, very good range. I came back with a selection of four or five different bottled beers.

Still, carry on with your fiction.

Reply to
The Older Gentleman

I genuinely think that you are. The requirement is good quality products properly displayed and good customer service. My expectation of what those should be may be higher than some peoples' but lower than others'

No I don't, because it doesn't have any. They have a range of things that are of good quality suitable for lunch or if one is in a hurry, possibly for a simple evening dinner. The checkout is efficient and rapid and the products bagged ready to go.

I disagree. Sainsbury's are better IMO. Waitrose even better still.

I had two incidents with Morrisons after their acquisition of Safeway. One was with foreign objects in own brand product. That led to a prosecution. The second was with a rancid piece of beef being prepared for a lunch. That led to a threat of a second second involvement by Trading Standards until the store manager saw my point of view and funded lunch at a rather nice local restaurant.

Reply to
Andy Hall

How would you know they changed? You don't shop at Morrisons. Do you just wander around for the pleasure of feeling your snob gland twitch?

Here's a little information; the Bath branch of Morrisons has a very similar range of wines and beers to those that were stocked when it was a Safeway. Not the best range in the local supermarkets but adequate enough especially if you buy when they have some of the better stuff on sale. Of course, I'd generally only spend in the region of 5-8 quid on table plonk, I'm assuming that's well below the price range you'd normally spend.

Reply to
deadmail

Forty minutes to an hour's drive to get to somewhere pikey. About as long as it would take you to get somewhere that isn't pikey.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Indeed I am, but your not the first to say so.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Where did I mention working in retail.

Actually asking is someone wants fries with it would probably tax the talents of the idiot on the bike.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I can see that happening in my local supermarket.

Today I went in for a few things and at 3PM despite it being the busioest time on a sunday they were reloading every shelf in the shop, the aisles were almost impossible to navigate as they were full of pallates loaded with various goods, and the icing on the cake was most of the checkouts were empty because everyone was loading the shelves instead.

The apples were still in boxes.

Reply to
ginge

OK, so the customer isn't always right any more?

On my set of criteria, Morrisons is a failure. They don't have particularly good product and they don't have good customer service. They may post good financial results. Does that make me want to buy from them? I think not.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Don't forget the spinning tape reels.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Rubbish.

Your postings here show you place the name over the door as more important than anything else.

Mind you, if you rate 'display standards' as important, then you really are more clueless than I originally thought.

Erm, you claim no snob value, yet you consistently use them as an example?

You do, of course, realise that the product manufacturer and specification of most of their products is exactly the same as you can get elsewhere for significantly less money? - and I'm including Aldi here, as they use many of the same suppliers for ready meals and 'value added' products.

Waitrose, possibly, but they're not 'big 4' - Sainsburys like you to think they deliver quality and certainly price themselves as a quality offering, but, beleive me, I've seen the 'back of store' areas, and they're no better than anyone else.

Both of which could and do happen elsewhere.

The own brand products are generic and produced with several different brand labels and the meat is pre-packaged in the same way.

Reply to
SteveH