Re: Result!

They've done appallingly badly. For a model that is touted as the best thing for mankind since Adam and Eve, they have been singularly unsuccessful, having effectively stood still for ten years.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It doesn't need to be marketed as low end, since it already is.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
Steve Firth

That'll be the Colombian marching powder that comes in with the coffee, then ;-)

I don't often encounter our high-street staff, but they always treat me well if I pop into one of the shops.

Reply to
SteveH

Sounds just like Aldi/Lidl......

Reply to
Andy Hall

Or care. He's a retail droid and he (and you) are attempting argument by authority which is a logical fallacy.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Do you have any idea how hard it is to build a new and recognised brand in the UK grocery sector?

I do, because I'm actively doing it at the moment. Even when you're flogging something at a third of the price of the brand leader (for an equal quality product) people *still* won't buy it.

Give it time, as both Aldi and Lidl are still rapidly expanding their estates.

Netto are struggling, though - to the extent that they pulled out of Wales completely last year - which is a shame, as I used to enjoy shopping in my local one.

Reply to
SteveH

A great deal more than you imagine.

This range originated from Safeway and was all but removed from Morrisons shelves. Some of it has been replaced but it not to the same standard as the Safeway range and nothing close to the premium brands of the other retailers.

Compared with the quality level of Safeway when it was acquired, it's a failure.

Reply to
Andy Hall

*snort*

That's as wide of the mark as a Chris Waddle penalty kick.

Reply to
SteveH

Lidl do not do three for two, bogof, or anything like. You really have no clue.

Reply to
Fran

You are so wrong. So, so wrong.

Reply to
Fran

Oh, back in the UK to sign on, were you?

Reply to
Fran

You might wish to consider the stonking losses Safeway were making when they were acquired.

Reply to
Fran

Whoa!

Which losses were those?

'cos in the year leading up to the merger, Safeway turned in a £300m+ profit, as it had done in the previous couple of years.

Safeway weren't loss-making, they just weren't growing profit, which, to the stock market is 'a bad thing', hence the falling share price and ultimate merger with Morrison's.

Reply to
SteveH

You're getting confused between what is fact and what is an opinion.

Let's examine the news stories.

Morrisons post record profits. Lovely. That does not make them a success as far as I am concerned because I am not a shareholder.

Morrisons purchased Safeway and almost immediately decimated their premium Best brand, replacing it on the shelves with fat and carbohydrate laden pies and pasties. In general,the quality level dropped. All of those are facts. I used to shop at Safeway occasionally but no longer after that. That was my choice. I won't buy crap. They went through an extended bad patch. That is fact.

More recently they have reinstated some of their quality brands. There are not as many as previously. Those are facts. I don't consider them to be as good as the products of the premium retailers.

Try to learn how to separate fact from opinion. I know that this is difficult if you read the Mirror or the Guardian, but it can be done.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Mmm... All of which demonstrates that moving up market works and moving downmarket doesn't.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I know a former Safeway manager quite well and he said much the same as you have. More interesting but not surprising were his remarks about Morrisons product sourcing post Safeway acquisition. Essentially they didn't do much of their own research and product testing but simply identified the private label suppliers to Sainsburys and others on the principle of "good enough for them so good enough for us". It may have changed. He works happily at Waitrose now.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Morrisons are the closest supermarket to me. The store isn't that bad- sure they sell a lot of crap but it's easily avoided. Their wine isn't badly priced and they often sell reasonable stuff at a reasonable price. The fish counter is OK, not up to Waitrose but not far from Sainsburies. Their butchers are a bit crap 'cos they won't cut meat the way I'd like it; however I try to support my local butcher so it's not a big issue.

Asda's the one I can't stand- I can't shop their without coming close to a fight with one of the mouthbreathing customers. I'd point out it's a

24 hour store 'relatively convenient' to me on the way back from work so if I'm late I'll use it if I must; but only if tooled up.
Reply to
deadmail

Strange that because the Morrisons store in Bath didn't change their wine range massively (or at least not that I noticed) when it became morrisons (was previously safeway)

Reply to
deadmail

The pubished market share figures for Aldi and Lidl are 2% each +/- a little bit, and for Netto about 0.5%

The business model doesn't work well. If it did, then they would be gaining market share rapidly. They are not and haven't in 10 years.

The Icelands of this world have had their day.

It probably does work for them, but they are kidding themselves if they believe that they will ever move out of the noise.

Reply to
Andy Hall