Re: Resistor Colour-code Calculator

Matty F wibbled on Friday 16 October 2009 22:57

I'm out of date... Can anyone explain how you know which direction to read a

6 band resistor in? There doesn't seem to be an obvious asymmetry...

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim W

Left to right. (Yes I know, I know). Bring back "Body-Tip-Spot" is what I say.

Reply to
Graham.

FSVO rotsiser

(I think I've just molished a new jbeq)

Reply to
PeterC

Oy! I don't look like a capacitor, although I am becoming a little rounder than I was.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Opps. ye shed door is ajar. Wrong planet!

Reply to
Adrian C

Pigs for the end breaking off the swiss-roll though, if you pulled on the lead when soldering.

What was the name for these? Polyethylene foil and a cement dip AFAIR, but they had a name too?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Are we talking abiut the same thing? These were rectangular, flattish, with rounded edges (typically about a cm per side, 2-3mm thick, wires from two of the bottom corners, horizontal stripes. Polyester ISTR.

Reply to
Bob Eager

On 17 Oct 2009 23:13:34 GMT, Bob Eager had this to say:

They were modern things. Proper condensers (mica) were maybe 1" x 3/4" x 1/16" and dipped in brown wax, or encased in brown bakelite (engraved with the value) with large flat tags sticking out of the ends.

Or Hunts/TCC paper ones in an aluminium tube with rubber seals in the ends.

Then of course there were wet electrolytics that had to be kept upright...

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Mylar - I think those were mylar film. Or possibly ceramics. Mullard made em IIRC.

remember at that time..yes. its coming back. You could get stripey humbugs that were coil wound plastic, then mylar film, which was better, and polycarbonate, which was way best of all, because instead of a coil (flattened) they interleaved the plates.. Very low self inductance AND they ground the ends down to precision values.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep, seen (and mostly used) all of those too. But not as pretty...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Reply to
brass monkey

That is *OLD* .

Really ? Never new that. That could explain one or two things ...

Presumably one only ever encountered them hard mounted on (pre-war) wireless set chassis.

Derek.

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Oh, so that's what the "virginity" was all about. I learned 6-7-8-9 as "...But Violet Grey's Willing."

Reply to
Ian White

Sorry - been on the PPs and BAs.

Reply to
PeterC

Mullard c280 Polyesters Tropical fish

uk item (sold) 160359738926

Reply to
Geo

That's the ones! They *were* polyester after all!

Reply to
Bob Eager

You could have left them charged up...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We were taught it a little bit different. I'm sure it was 'rape' instead of 'root', and the last four words were 'but virgins go without'.

I don't remember it being 'bad' either. But can't think what it was.

Reply to
John Whitworth

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

But I chose to live, instead

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "John Whitworth" saying something like:

Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls, But Virgins Go Without. Throwing sensitivity to the wind, the other version substituted 'Black' for 'Bad'. I've no doubt there's a perfectly acceptable but dead boring version out there.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon