Re: removing skirting boards

remove
years
be
(prob
It might be glued or nailed - most likely with a power nailer, with recessed heads filled so as not to be visible.
Either way, be prepared for it not to come off non-destructively. [I replaced all the skirting in my hallway when I fitted wooden flooring earlier this year].
Besides destroying the existing skirting, you will probaly damage the plaster in some places - so have some Pollyfilla ready.
When it comes to refitting the new skirting, GripFill works pretty well - but may need to be supplemented by the odd screw if the wall isn't straight.
When fitting my new skirting, I cut and mitred it and then painted it *before* sticking it on the wall. There is then no danger of getting paint on the new flooring - and any slight gaps can be filled with a bead of decorators' filler, and the paint touched up if necessary.
Besides removing the skirting, you will of course have to undercut the door frames and achitraves so that the flooring can be slid underneath.
HTH, Roger
hmmm, thanks for the info. I'm a diy virgin and am starting to think that laminate 'edging' strips may be the best way ahead for me ! I wonder if I could pay a painter/decorator to come and deal with the skirting.....
message

may
after
recessed
straight.
door

well -

paint
You *could* of course leave the skirting on, and cover the expansion gap with beading. The only problem is that it then *looks* like a retro job rather than like something which was designed in.
Depends whether you're prepared to live with it - I wasn't!
Roger

remove
years
be
(prob
How old is skirting board ? If it's a new build, then it may be MDF Skirting and it could be both glued and nailed. I'd advise you to take off the door facings to let you get in behind the skirting to prise it off. This will let you get a good start at least.
--
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com