Re: removing skirting boards

All,

> I am about to instal laminate across my entire flat and would like to remove > the skirting in order to do a decent job of hiding the expansion gap. > Can anyone lend advise on how I should remove the skirting - it may be > either nailed or glued on - I'm not sure. However, the flat is only 3 years > old and there are no visible nails, so I am incluned to think that it may be > glued. > Whats the best way to fix the skirting back ?? I like the idea of glue (prob > from screwfix, but what type ???), but are they likely to 'fall' off after a > few years ?? Are nails generally better ?? > > All help / advise very much appreciated. > >

It might be glued or nailed - most likely with a power nailer, with recessed heads filled so as not to be visible.

Either way, be prepared for it not to come off non-destructively. [I replaced all the skirting in my hallway when I fitted wooden flooring earlier this year].

Besides destroying the existing skirting, you will probaly damage the plaster in some places - so have some Pollyfilla ready.

When it comes to refitting the new skirting, GripFill works pretty well - but may need to be supplemented by the odd screw if the wall isn't straight.

When fitting my new skirting, I cut and mitred it and then painted it

*before* sticking it on the wall. There is then no danger of getting paint on the new flooring - and any slight gaps can be filled with a bead of decorators' filler, and the paint touched up if necessary.

Besides removing the skirting, you will of course have to undercut the door frames and achitraves so that the flooring can be slid underneath.

HTH, Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills

hmmm, thanks for the info. I'm a diy virgin and am starting to think that laminate 'edging' strips may be the best way ahead for me ! I wonder if I could pay a painter/decorator to come and deal with the skirting.....

Reply to
NC

How old is skirting board ? If it's a new build, then it may be MDF Skirting and it could be both glued and nailed. I'd advise you to take off the door facings to let you get in behind the skirting to prise it off. This will let you get a good start at least.

Reply to
BigWallop

You *could* of course leave the skirting on, and cover the expansion gap with beading. The only problem is that it then *looks* like a retro job rather than like something which was designed in.

Depends whether you're prepared to live with it - I wasn't!

Roger

Reply to
Roger Mills