Re: Relocating a washing machine... conclusion

Thanks again to everyone who helped. I ended up getting the free loan of Iveco van with tail-lift and a sack trolley, from a friend. Filled the tank on my return and covered the insurance - everyone was happy.
Moving the machine was fairly tricky but I did succeed. [I dropped my old machine whilst moving it out - smashed face down onto the pavement!] Word of warning though - fitting transport bars to a Miele is not as described in the instructions. They don't tell you that you need to lift and waggle the drum from the front in order to fit the bars in at the back.
-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Does it work OK, though, and have you required hernia treatment?
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Hehe ;-) No, once the trolley was at an equilibrium it was reasonably easy to move about without excessive strain - just got to keep that angle right or you're in trouble. Getting it tilted was more difficult, I basically used my entire bodyweight, weirdly, exactly the same as the machine - 92Kg. Going up and down slopes and over the front door step required superhuman effort, but I wasn't going to draft in my female companion to help!
I've only used it once but the machine seems to be working fine, on the whole, although I'm querying Miele whether the drum has a balancing problem - it moved probably 1cm in and out of true as it spun up. Apparently the machine will electronically cut out if serious imbalances are detected, so I'd guess it's normal, but you know how you notice things more when they are new.. ;-) Yeah - it's an impressive box, much quieter and cleans better than my old Hotpoint.
All in all - jobs a good 'un.
-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t