Re: Rather OT: Separating Silencer from Catalytic converter (on a motorbike)

Sorry for the OT-ness.

> > I need to remove the silencer from my motorbike but the join to the next > section seems to be immovable.

I suppose you've tried large amounts of heat, and penetrant? Do you need both bits intact?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

So far I have tried nothing apart from removing the pinch clamp and waggling the silencer, or rather attempting to waggle it!

Unfortunately yes. I'm going to fit an elbow between the two halves to lower the silencer so that I can use larger panniers.

I haven't tried anything more than the waggling yet in case my misguided attempts preclude any other approaches. If it weren't for the Cat I'd heat the joint up and then hurl cold water on it in an attempt to shock the joint open. But I'm a little wary about damaging the Cat matrix - although it occasionally goes through rivers without complaint.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Thanks Mike,

Re-posted as suggested. The big advantage of posting OT questions here, I find, is the broad approach and plenty of lateral thinking ability!

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

raden wrote in news:2vAuGIS40Y$ snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com:

Don't knock uk.rec.motorcycles.

I did once, they're humourless and vengeful.

And I'm a biker

mike

Reply to
mike ring

In message , mike ring writes

It's OK, Bear's gone off in a sulk

Reply to
raden

i thought cats ran white hot anyway.

use lamp.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unless you're in the non existant clique.

Whats one of them? Someone who rides a bike? (TL1000S for me). Someone who 'Lives the lifestyle' (NOT me). Someone who rides in winter? Neverunderstood this phrase.

I've seen someone posting as "Bear" in an ebay group. Similar... er... blunt attitude.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

They do, but the ceramic substrate that supports the Platinum is rather fragile.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Puh-leeze. White-hot is around 3000K. I think you might just about see a red glow around the 1000K mark. Exhaust manifolds can be hotter but of course they are right next to the cylinders. Further reactions in the convertor itself will cause temperatures to rise, but not to that extreme.

Reply to
John Laird

Whoops misread "white" hot for "quite hot". B-)

Quick google and the operating temp appears to be about 500C, "quite hot".

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Some nice thermal imaging shots and graphs here:

temperatures do hit around 1100K. Just as well cats aren't the last thing in the exhaust system...

Reply to
John Laird

Mike Barnard wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Just an ex bike commuter for 30 years, now retired with a speedy yellow shopping trolley with a topbox that will take a 24-pack

mike

Reply to
mike ring

At least one so far!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Just force your way in and take no hostages

Me too

Ebay group ?

naah - unless it's bodily parts which have fallen off

Reply to
raden

In message , Richard Savage writes

Yes, but only one

bunch of wusses the lot of the lot of 'em

Reply to
raden