Re: Rainwater Coming Out Of Airbrick in a Capped Chimney

Hi EMV,
This is only happening when it rains ? Are you looking in the right place for leaks ? The rain water may be coming from a blocked guttering trough and overflowing down over the back and then down the surface of the masonry and through to the inside through the airbrick.
It could also be coming through the old joints in the masonry and you may need the wall repointed again. Not actually seeing the site and the positions of things is a real pain and makes this type of diagnoses almost impossible over the net. So these are just some suggestions of what could be. Widen your search of the roofing materials and you may find that it is further away from the spot you think it is coming from.
Many thanks. Sounds like we need to get a big ladder to have a closer look at the guttering.
We have decided to get a chartered surveyor round shortly so hopefully he will be able to give us some advice on the state of the pointing and whether it needs to be redone.
E.Varnell