Re: Query on clock restoration

I've done a bit of restoration on a Vienna clock case and am about to

> remount the mechanism which is weights driven. > > It would seem sensible to replace the cords for these weights while I > have the mechanism out. Does anyone know if this is a specific cord > and where I can get it ? > > Thanks > Rob

In the 1950s my father restrung the weights of my Vienna regulator clock with fine nylon fishing line. It's still going strong. Of course, you may prefer the look of the intended cord.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Mawson

UV light is one of the things which causes materials to deteriorate, but this is probably quite well protected. I'm quite surprised that Nylon "monofil" has lasted so well, I think I would go for a proper cord. Presumably the weights are about a pound? I would think about cotton, linen, or polyester thread. Cobblers or sewing shops do "repair kits" for briefcases, belts, etc with ten metres or so of strong and often waxex thread. Going up in size, how about this 1 mm nylon cord?

Newshound

Anything.

Ideally anything long-lasting and smooth surfaced. Braids are usually better than laid (twisted) cordage. UV-sensitivity is bad.

Reply to
Andy Dingley