Re-purpose wiring

There is mains wiring running from the fuse box to the immersion heater. As the cylinder is going to be removed, is there a reason that the wiring can not be re-used to power the following:

1) Combined heat/light/fan for bathroom 2) Towel radiator I haven't looked, but I assume the existing wiring is 2.5mm2. The combined heat/light/fan is 1150W, and the towel radiator is 400W (although I guess someone could use 2x600W). Just in principle, I won't be doing this myself. Ta.
Reply to
Grumps

A 2.5mm2 radial (as opposed to a ring) is a perfectly valid configuration. It has a 20 amp circuit breaker, no specific limit on the number of sockets and a recommended maximum floor area served.

Reply to
cl

Probably ok if it is 2.5mm. The appliances will have to be connected by fused connection units, and a 20 amp fuse/circuit breaker, to be a standard radial circuit.

RCD protection may be needed for new work.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

No reason not to IMHO subject to suitable fusing and earthing. (For example if it is 2.5 mm^2 on a 20 amp fuse, it would be unsafe to extend it with 1 mm^2 to a ventilation fan without an additional fuse). A good electrician will get it right. A bad one OTOH....

Reply to
newshound

Yes, the cable can be used. It will need RCD protection for anything in the bathroom, so just swap the immersion switch for a RCD fused spur. The bonding to any incoming services will have to be compliant too.

Reply to
A.Lee

My whole plan was to use the old immersion circuit to feed a 4 gang switch using 2.5mm2. The combined light/heat/fan unit has separate circuits for the infra-red heaters, the fan, and the light. I was thinking of assigning the 4 gang switch to:

1) 1 Pair of infra-red lights, 2) the 2nd pair of IR lights, 3) the fan, 4) the towel radiator. The main light would operate from the existing pull cord. The 4 gang switch would be wall mounted outside of the bathroom. The whole lot is on an RCD at the consumer unit. Is equipotential bonding required where the circuits are RCD protected? What FCUs would be required? Individually for each appliance, or?
Reply to
Grumps

Fine in principle...

Reply to
John Rumm

Electrically, of course not assuming good condition etc. I'm sure some regulation will throw a spanner in the works though... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Principle is fine. But if running low powered devices like lights from it, those and the wiring to them should be protected by an FCU with suitable fuse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)