Re: Proposed new FAQ section - wall chasers

Wall chasers can be divided into two broad categories: disc based, and

>?others?. For the purposes of this document we will concentrate on the >disc type. The ?others? category includes a number of machines that are >designed to function as an add on to conventional rotary drills or angle >grinders. Typically they feature some sort of masonry bit and a carriage >assembly that allows it to be plunged into the surface of the wall and >then pulled along grinding away at the plaster creating masses of dust >and a chase. Most reports suggest that these tools are relatively >ineffective in anything but soft plaster, and generally suffer most of >the drawbacks of the angle grinder approach while being slower and more >expensive.

Have a look at his chaser:

Don't know if it's available in the UK...

The price is staggering -- around 1300 Euro -- so it's definitely a hire tool. However, the coarse-toothed cutter revolves slowly, 1200 rpm, so the wall is crumbled and crushed rather than cut to dust, and grit falls out rather than dust being blown out, so it's a *lot* cleaner than the high-rpm methods.

The channel is round in back, and tilted slightly downward on a horizontal chase (if you held it the right way!) and will hold that wavy plastic wiring conduit very well without and fixing until it gets plastered over.

It's also heavy. Battens, or something movable to rest it on as one pushes it across the wall helps.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

Intersting looking beast...

The mind boggles with the description of "BSS 406 Automatic vibrator" a little down the page! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Yeah, they didn't waste money on no fancy translator!

(It's got a widget to shake or otherwise keep the filter clean, as far as I can tell, hence the vibrator.)

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer