Re: Presents for toddlers.

Page 1 of 3
Hi to all in u.p.p & uk.d-i-y. This is a u.p.p thread concerning what to buy for toddlers, of which I currently have one, which has a question in 1) below which uk.d-i-y-ers might be able to answer. Further contributions as to "what" gratefully accepted! I visited a the "Early Learning Centre", a shop full of toys and toddlers of all ages playing with displays, coming away with: 1) A plastic "Daisy the duck" - remote controlled quacking duck for use in the bath or on the floor. The 9-y.o. suggested that it *might* be suitable for a 2-y.o., and I quite agree. I can't wait 'till he opens it. Neither can the 9-y.o. The packaging says "do not use rechargeable batteries". I wonder why (hence the x-psot to uk.d-i-y). 2) A big bag of "Megga Blocks" to go with his current small collection. *Why*, why do these come in a large unperforated stiff plastic bag ideal for children to put their heads into?? 3) A wooden railway-track like thing, which would presumably be easy to make out of beech. How to cut the jigsaw-like connecters between sections, though?? Some wheeled things to push around the track.
-------------------------------------------------- This email is a free service of Phantom Email available at http://phantomemail.com /. Looking for a date? Check out http://adultpersonalinteractions.com/go/p185 .

Because many common rechargeables don't have the umph to run things like this. Quacking takes a lot of power. Especially non-stop quacking, which is what is likely to happen. However if you pick the battery carefully (look at the mA/h rating) then they can work well.

Brio railway? Tesco do a much cheaper version of this (and it's compatible with Brio).
--
Tim Mitchell
with 2 toddlers.
Tim Mitchell wrote:

I've also seen the explanation that the lower voltage and lower internal resistance of Nicad/NiMh, can lead to the device drawing more current than it's designed to and damaging it. Doesn't sound likely, but I suppose it's possible.
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

Rechargeables actually have better current capability than many disposable batteries, as they have low internal resistance. Unfortunately, though, the cells usually have lower voltage, so equipment has to be specifically designed for this variation to take advantage of them.
Christian.
Tim Mitchell wrote:

Look in the freeads and the like, lots of people have Brio etc no longer needed, hell I've a crate full to sell myself!
Niel.
: >3) A wooden railway-track like thing, which would presumably : >be easy to make out of beech. How to cut the jigsaw-like : >connecters between sections, though?? Some wheeled things to : >push around the track. : > : Brio railway? Tesco do a much cheaper version of this (and it's : compatible with Brio). : -- : Tim Mitchell : with 2 toddlers.
I bought the Tesco one and think it's great value. However my kids were 18 months and 3 yrs then and they didn't play with it until this year - 3 and 4.5 when they started. The older one plans out the track, which a toddler isn't great at, and the younger pushes stuff round it. OK pressie if you do the setup for the toddler. Got a few years in it.
Tim Mitchell wrote:

Quacking (quoth in disbelief) ? Surely laying eggs.... anyway, thanks various for replies so far. I was thinking of buying a lot of 1800mAH NiMH batteries (Maplin a good source?? Need to have these *before* Christmas), BUT was worried about possible high currents in a wet environment spoiling the batteries (I *know* that these batteries are not suitable for use in a long tubular hand-held device in moist conditions (a torch, yes, yes that's it, a torch...)).

Oooh! I haven't seen it! I can't find it on their on-line shopping site, either. Do you know what they call it?

Oh well done. Fun nearly all the time!
-------------------------------------------------- This email is a free service of Phantom Email available at http://phantomemail.com /. Looking for a date? Check out http://adultpersonalinteractions.com/go/p185 .

Tesco Wooden Railway, I think. I can't find it on-line either, but our local tesco has a good range of bits. They also do a battery powered locomotive which Brio don't, saves daddy's arms from pushing the thing round all the time, plus you can send it under the sofa and watch it come out the other side (hopefully)
--
Tim Mitchell

You can certainly get battery powered trains from Brio.
The Tesco stuff is good. However, there is a HUGE set in Asda for pocket money, too, with many different styles of bridges, roads, stations and accessories.
Christian.

Can you, I could never find one. I decided it must be against their ethos or something.

Haven't seen that, is that compatible as well?
--
Tim Mitchell

Yeah, we've got one. However, it is a Thomas the Tank Engine, rather than a generic one. It still has a Brio logo on the box, though. Surprisingly powerful, but not very fast. It'll draw a six carriage train over a fairly steep bridge without problems.

I believe so, although don't have any. We picked up some Ikea that claimed compatibility, but it isn't really, unless you seriously force it and some parts won't mate at all, particularly the junctions, which are cheap Y based, rather than the better made straight with a curve, which works much better.
Christian.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that the bridges supplied are too small for any trains to pass under except the specially cut down ones that come with it.
Christian.
Christian McArdle wrote in

When we were in Brio mode, we used to find that most compatibles were compatable with Brio itself, but not with other compatables. Unfortunately for us, the Thomas-the-Tank-Engine trains of the time, were not from Brio, so they kept getting stuck in tunnels - and not just James.
--
Penny Gaines
UK mum to three
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:55:26 -0000, Christian McArdle wrote:

We have a "James the Red Engine" though it's not really a James. This has a Brio badge and is likewise pretty powerful, it will pull a good 18 or so wagons, carriages and other engines on the level and have a damn good try over bridges as well.

Got some of ELCs that is a bit stiff, maybe two or three peices, keep forgeting to get the sandpaper out.

Ah that depends what your trying to do. A simple passing loop or two tracks with platforms works better with the Y's rather than points. Points are better for general loops and layouts. Play with the Brio? Who me?
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Personally, I believe that every toddler needs a trumpet and a drum for Christmas - they'll feel deprived without them.
Their parents certainly shouldn't miss out on the experience of a toddler with a trumpet and a drum either, and of course if you have two toddlers they'll each need them.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

If anyone buys them for a child of mine, then they can be left at the donor's house as a special treat for when we come over.
Christian.

This rule should also apply to any of those electronic tune playing toys, particularly the ones which play "Old Macdonald had a farm".
--
Tim Mitchell

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:24:34 +0000, Tim Mitchell

... these ones are always the favourites, aren't they? :-)
Cheer up though. Before you know it, they'll be 18. Nothing will change though - they'll still be behaving like toddlers :-)
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:24:34 UTC, Tim Mitchell

I hear they're re-launching the Stylophone.....
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:08:22 UTC, "Christian McArdle"

We suffered a lot from presents from sister-in-law to our two.
She has somewhat unexpectedly had a baby...revenge in a year or three!
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk