re-preparation of plasterboard wall after stripping

Hi all I have been steam stripping wallpaper from an interior plasterboard wall prior to redecorating. To my not-very-great surprise, I find that the original plasterboard hadn't had a finishing coat of plaster applied. Instead, there seem to have been one or two very thin sheets of paper put over the top (thinner than lining paper - dunno what this is called), and then the previous vinyl wallpaper.

So I have been spending quite a time steaming all these layers off. It looks like I am going to be left with a plasterboard surface which is a bit rough in places; despite my care I've dug below the plasterboard surface in a few spots, and stripped off part of the paper covering of the plasterboard in a few other area.

I will tidy as much of this up as I can when I've finished the steaming (filling in the dings etc.), but now I'm wondering about the best way to 'finish' the wall before putting my wallcovering on. Given that I intend to put up heavyweight lining paper (then paint it), having a thin plaster finishing coat on seems a bit wasteful. I'd also have to get a man in to do this; as much as its a skill I'd like to learn it won't happen for this project. So instead, any thoughts on the pros and cons of:

- having a plasterboard skim coat put on regardless

- just sealing the plasterboard as is

- putting a lightweight lining paper up first, then sealing that (PVA or emulsion?), and then putting up my heavyweight paper?

- anything else?

Thanks for your thoughts

J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

That is the proper way to go, and will save hassle next time you redecorate.

The alternative would be to carefully fill, sand, and possibly seal (or at least PVA) to consolidate the surface, then line and paper.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi John

Thanks for these points. One thing that concerns me a little about getting a skim coat done; I've read that I'd have to remove every last bit of the previous thin paper sheets, since the application of the plaster skim might cause them to lift off the plasterboard underneath. This would be very tricky; the paper is very thin and generally well-adhered to the board underneath. If I were, after removing any loose paper, to seal the wall with PVA before skimming (thereby also reinforcing the gluing of the paper to the plasterboard) would that be sufficient, would you think?

Thanks J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

If skimming onto an unsound surface then a plasterer will usually do a "glue and set". I.e. they cover it in dilute PVA first and plaster onto that while it is still wet. It helps tie any loose stuff into the bond and make sure it does not peel off due to the wet plaster.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks John, very useful.

Cheers J^n

Reply to
The Night Tripper

The skill in plastering is getting the surface level. Yours is already level, so a bit of fine surface filling is all that should be required. Worst scenario is that you'll probably have to lightly sand it afterwards

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I'd strongly recommend the PVA bonding then plaster skim route. If not, what happens next time you strip the wall?

Reply to
gunsmith