Re: power flushing

On 24 Aug 2003 04:19:06 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com (chris) wrote:

So am I, which is why I frequently make it clear that I am using anecdotal material from personal experience.

I have not rubbished power flushing. I have presented an alternative solution on a number of occasions, which is effective and has a much lower cost.

I have used one.

Yes thank you.

I have not said that genuine heating engineers are ripping people off, but have certainly singled out BG on occasions because I do not consider that the typical 800 that they charge is good value for money.
I would also point out that this is a DIY news group and that it is perfectly reasonable to present a DIY approach to an issue that has a lower cost than commercial power flushing and is perfectly effective.

If you searched back through Google Groups, you would find a completely detailed set of information on my approach. It includes hot flushing with a flushing agent for a period of time as part of the procedure.

Again, if you bothered to read the procedure, you would realise that it involves flushing both ways at each radiator.

I wondered when we would get to that.
So in short you are making a posting from the perspective of having a commercial vested interest
This is a DIY group, not a referral service for commercial operators. If you want to do that, I suggest that you advertise in Yellow Pages.

I wouldn't dream of it, but I wasn't born yesterday or the day before and wouldn't add my name to the list of mugs who are ripped off by cowboy operators offering power flushing when it is completely unnecessary.

I have used one of these machines, according to the manufacturer's instructions. I was then able to remove more material from the system using my method. Not that that was any great surprise.
I should add that this was in a system which had been maintained with corrosion inhibitor religiously according to the manufacturer's instructions.
I have not said that power flushing is necessarily bad as a technique, but that it is not good value for money (certainly at BG prices), and there are equally effective if not better DIY approaches.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On 24 Aug 2003 04:19:06 -0700, chris wrote:

*snip*
So Chris, why didn't you email it to him?
If you had ever bothered to read any of Andy's posts properly in the first place you would realise that the advice he gives is sound, balanced and unbiased.
This community is about "Do It Yourself", not "Put the Plumbers Kids through College".
Admittedly there are many jobs where it is sensible to call in the professionals, but bunging in a load of X400 and leaving it for a week* just isn't one of them.
Just as an aside, by any chance do you live under a bridge?
Steve
*Summarised for those with a short attention span
chris wrote:

As a professional (i.e. someone who is paid for doing the job) I would take issue with a number of these statements.
In particular whilst flushing is important (indeed the manufacturers tell you so), there are two problems with its widespread use.
1) Use when it is not necessary because it is not the cause of the heating system failure(s). In particular there are many companies (yours and mine excepted - of course) that advocate this either as a cure-all or as a remedy of last resort (having failed to diagnose the real fault).
2) Using it to treat the symptoms rather than the cause of the problems (for instance chronic over-pumping).
As you know limescale is rarely a problem for primary circuits and thus acid is rarely needed if on circuits. It is needed to on secondary pipework especially combis.
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

I was working at a house today where a white van with a magnetic sticker on the side showed it was a BG installer/contractor. The two plumbers inside were doing a power flush that had been arranged by BG and the owner of the house had paid 750 plus VAT for the job. The plumbers informed me they got 120 off BG for the job. Do your own maths and you will never use BG again.
Adam

How did the plumbing world manage before power flushing machines were invented ?. What is wrong with just removing the radiators and blasting them with a hose pipe down the end of the garden ?.
--
Andrew