Re: polystyrene ceiling tiles

Just been to look at a house, which is up for sale, The first thin > that

> greets you is every ceiling is covered with polystyrene tiles includin > one > wall in one of the bed rooms. Any one out there tried to remov > theses > tiles. Or is it a question of over plaster boarding and skim ceilin > and > try to remove tiles from wall. then skim over.

HI IVE JUST PUT UP THOSE TILES IN MY LIVING ROOM AND WHEN I PUT ONE U WRONG IT WAS HECK OF A JOB GETTING IT OFF IF U ARE DEFO TAKING THEM OF EXPECT A WHOLE HOUSE FULL OF BITS OF POLYSTERENE (LIKE WHEN U WOUL SCRAP IT AGAINST THE WALL AS A CHILD TO MAKE FAKE SNOW) lol IT ALL REALLY DEPENDS ON HOW WELL THE PERSON STUCK THEM UP CLAI

-- Clair

Reply to
Clair

STOP SHOUTING

Reply to
gort

If they are on the kitchen ceiling a surveyor is likely to say that they are not permitted due to problems if there is a kitchen fire.

Yes. It is very difficult, messy, and usually leaves the adhesive and bits of polystyrene which have to be removed by sanding then a skim coat to repair the surface.

Haven't tried that but it would lower the ceilings and you would need to locate all the joists for fixing. Sounds less messy but more expensive.

Reply to
Phil Anthropist

You should get the tiles off. For ceilings a garden push-hoe is very useful. Unless you are very lucky skimming will probably be necessary. They may often disguise a poor ceiling anyway, or even Artex - mine did.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

U put up these tiles, good god mad its 2006. Are you a fucktard?

Peter

The message from "Phil Anthropist" contains these words:

Having had a fire in a kitchen in which polystyrene ceiling tiles were fitted I can only strongly advise you to get rid of them at once. They made a small fire very nasty indeed.

Reply to
Guy King

We used to burn em on Guy Fawkes night. The acrid smoke is enough to put me off ever having them in a kitchen where fires are a significant risk. I heartily agree with your comment "made a small fire very nasty indeed".

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher