Re-pointing patio with mortar gun

I bought one of these a while ago, but haven't yet got around to using it.

The mortar between the slabs in my patio is in a bad way, and I would like to replace it - and thought it would be a good application for the mortar gun.

It seems to me that, to have any chance of success with getting the mortar to flow, I would need to be very particular about the ingredients used to make the mortar, and would also need to use an appropriate plasticiser.

I'm sure that some people here will have first-hand experience of doing this. I would be grateful for any pointers as to what sand and cement to use, in what proportions, what plasticiser - and how much - to use, etc.

Also, what's the best way of removing the old mortar? The mortar joints are mostly at least 1/2" wide (although there are some narrower ones). I couuld potentially use an angle grinder with a brick/stone cutting disc, or I could purchase a mortar rake for the AG. Either way. it's likely to generate a hell of a lot of dust. Any way of avoiding this, such as having a helper with a vacuum cleaner sucking up the dust as it is generated - dental assistant style?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Most of the people here are on their way out.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Yes. I'm f***ed.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I wish I waqs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I had a go. Never managed to mix anything that would pipe out of the gun.

Reply to
R D S

Many years ago I had an area of small flags to mortar. I bent a couple of scrap metal sheets to about 45 degrees, slipped them into each join to form an elongated funnel shape then deposited a dryish mortar mix and tamped it down.

It seemed to speed up the job and reduce the mess my inexpert work might otherwise have made.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon