plumbing argument needs settled

Hi I live in Scotland and was told that using a storage tank in the loft to feed the cold taps in the bathroom and the hot water tank in a cupboard in the bedroom was now illegal and that all cold taps now have to be from the mains. Also that my power shower which is connected to a T-piece from the feed from the tank supplying the cold taps was illegal. The hot water feed is te'ed (spelling punctuation???) from the vent pipe that goes from the hot tank to the attic. Also illegal?

It was done as per the instructions supplied with the shower but I am being told these instructions are OK for England but not Scotland.

My hot water is heated by gas hence the power shower.

My house was built in 1991 and I have been told that the "regulations" would not allow that plumbing system system nowadays. Am I being told a load of rubbish or is my plumbing system now illegal?

Thanks Ron

Reply to
ron

1/. In england it certainly is not. Mind you ought ought to be..;-)

2/. I am almost 100% sure that no retrospective legislation is ever applied to any UK building regulations. I.e. there is no requirement to retrospectively adapt old systems to new regulations unless they are part of a materials and substantive change.

3/. 'Your boiler* wouldn't meet regulations" is the sort of cry one hears, but some tradesmen turn that into "your boiler is illegal" and still others turn that into "and I won't touch it: It will have to be all replaced".

  • substitute unpressurised water or whatever the current tradesman is conning you into replacing.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't think so.

Depending exactly what you mean by 'vent pipe' and how your system is arranged, might be illegal / contrary to regs / not best practice / only unsafe if boiler goes bang.

AFAIK and I could be wrong, but I think the Water Regulations are not a devolved matter.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Ask him to go into the loft and see if there's any dead rats/birds/floating fibreglass pariticals if its an open tank?

I've done away with tank and fed the cold water direct to the mains, much cleaner.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

if the regulations have changed it just means your wont be to current standards. as for the tank in the loft for cold water i would prefer mains feed cold myself. dead animals always seem to find thier way in to the tanks!

Reply to
Gav

My parent's house in Aberdeen was built in the '30s. It had mains water to the bathroom basin. Only the bath cold and toilet came off the tank.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Utter ballcocks. Nothing wrong or illegal with a properly installed CW storage tank (close fitting lid, insulated, filtered overflow & air inlet, supported on WBP ply, etc..).

Power shower = shower pump? Usually the hot is supplied from an Warix/Surrey/Essex flange to avoid air bubbles being drawn into the pump. Not illegal, maybe inadvisable. Look at the installation recommendations on the pump manufacturer's website. These will be legal for all of the EEC.

I think (can't recall) that they prefer a separate connection to the tank for the cold supply to the shower.

Has Scotland seceded from the EEC?

He's either having you on, or he really believes what he has told you, in which case he's an idiot.

Reply to
Aidan

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 08:15:38 GMT someone who may be Gav wrote this:-

One has yet to find its way into the various ones I look after for members of the family in the past three decades.

Reply to
David Hansen

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:49:02 GMT someone who may be "ron" wrote this:-

You were told something that is incorrect.

So, what was it claimed was wrong with the hot water cylinder? Perhaps the fact that it is in a bedroom?

Very undesirable, though probably acceptable if the shower is a thermostatic one.

If the shower is not a thermostatic one then not acceptable, the cold feed to the shower should be taken from a fitting on the tank that is lower down than the one that feeds the hot water. This way if the tank is emptied the hot water will run out before the cold and so people will not be scalded.

Not in the least. Certainly undesirable, unless the shower is a thermostatic one, because turning on another hot tap will mean the shower runs cold.

Reply to
David Hansen

Then you need to cover it properly and fit a trap on the overflow.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How do you keep the trap full? Presumably some sort of rubber flap instead or something?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle