Re: Phone

En el artículo , RayL12 escribió:

Hi pal,

Thunderturd strikes again!

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

That was rather interesting . Who is the phone provider ?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

In message , Brian Howie writes

Sounds like O2. I, too, resent being charged 14p for sending "OK" to my daughter.

I've just changed to a contract with them, but am thinking it was a mistake because of the shambles of their website, what apps work with what contract, how they gave me the wrong type of sim and then the help chatline didn't suss it out etc. etc.

So that would be O2 and Vodaphone (because of their Demon disaster) ruled out. Not many left.

Reply to
Bill

Mike Tomlinson scribbled

One good reason never to use a combined email/usenet program.

Reply to
Jonno

The key question there is: which network do ASDA use? I'm with Giffgaff

-- fantastic! But they use the O2 network ... which seems to serve everywhere in this region quite, or very, well ... except my house. :-P

J.

Reply to
Another John

Three PAYG. Free SIM. 2p per text. Top-ups don't expire.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

ITYM some combined ones. I've used a combined one for some 20 years, and it's simply not possible to send an email to a news group. Except by copy and paste.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Agreed! The only very occasional error I have made is to reply rather than follow up, which sends a reply directly to the poster rather than to the newsgroup, but I've done that perhaps twice in many, many thousands of newsgroup postings. Still using Turnpike.

Reply to
News

En el artículo , News escribió:

Me too (v5.02), but only for news. It became too awkward to use for email.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes - that is possible here too. Assuming a valid email address of course. But my prog will ask for me to confirm I want to send a personal email to a newsgroup poster anyway.

What is impossible is to write an email and send it to a newsgroup by mistake.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Mike Tomlinson writes

My needs are simple, so I use TP6 with W7 32 bit for everything, because it just works. Perhaps more to the point, the Demon help groups are still populated by helpful people, even if few of them actually connect via Demon these days :-(

BTW, the use of escribió above throws up a TP 'non ascii' character warning :-)

Reply to
News

En el artículo , News escribió:

Usenet (and email) are supposed to be 7-bit only, which is why TP warns you, as ó is an 8-bit character, as is í.

v5.02 is very old, so it's probably my version of TP at fault. Apologies. :)

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

EE (

)

I moved to them from EE but moved on to Three 3-2-1 PAYG as they were cheaper for very low volume users. (I have similar usage to Phil's B-I-L.)

3p/min voice calls, 2p/text, 1p/Megabyte of data. There are also cheap calls to/from a rather random selection of 19 foreign countries:

Note that the choice of cheapest provider is very dependent on your usage. Three seem the cheapest for infrequent users but they are not necessarily the cheapest as your usage rises and you start buying top-up/add-on bundles or move to a contract.

Reply to
Graham Nye

One thing to watch is that those cheap foreign calls aren't available with your 3-2-1 "top-ups". For cheap foreign calls you have to buy "add-ons", which expire after 30 days. Depending on your usage, they might not be cheap at all. For me it's marginal so to keep things simple I pay full whack for foreign calls from my 3-2-1 credit.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

In message , Bill writes

I thought it might be Vodafone as I've been getting nag texts from them

Too right about the Demon saga. I'm still with them but only lethargy prevents me shifting.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

Yeah, same here. When first using Thunderbird I hit Reply as I had always done and getting some odd return emails, not seeing my post and, not realising I had created the mess.

Abd then, there was a couple days ago when, wanting to email a friend, clicked send not realising the 'Local Folders' was pre selected. I got a reply, not from the intended target, saying 'who, in the millions of possibilities, was that intended for?'.

So, the recipient could not see the targets address which I had selected from the Address Book? I was thankful for the reply, non the less.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12