re painting gloss

I have keyed the wood ready for painting ( old gloss) should one undercoat and one coat of gloss be sufficient to cover properly?

Reply to
SS

(Since no-one else has replied yet...)

Yeah ... but make sure your undercoat is *really* nicely applied, and then (a) whisk it over with fine grade paper and (b) a very slightly damp cloth, and then (c) check with fingertips for that mirror-like finish, before applying your topcoat. Two topcoats if it's external.

And if your paint's crap, the job will be. I long ago switched to using Dulux paint only: far, far too expensive (in terms of my time) to use cheaper brands. I don't even like Crown: I seem to have a natural affinity only with Dulux.

Hard luck btw: I bloody hate painting gloss!

John

Reply to
Another John

Thanks John, I agree hate gloss but just moved house, previous house natural wood. I have acres of the stuff in this one :-( Reason for question is to buy the qantities required as I have a distance to go to get DIY stuff and I dont want to run back and forth. The job will be mid range as the exisisting gloss has been very badly done and there is just too much to sand it all back so trying to achieve a good improvement but not perfect, I have 11 rooms including bathrooms and hallway to be done, all are crap workmanship. Second time around I will do a room at a time and go for a quality. The previous owner must have put in new doors to get a sale but never even painted them but hey when you see the workmanship of what they did do then thats a bonus.

Reply to
SS

Do you actually /want/ gloss? SWMBO has decreed that all our woodwork is eggshell, and I have to say that it is *much* easier to apply neatly. In the past we used Farrow and Ball eggshell, but these days tend to use Providence - but that's only any use if you are in Cambridge!

Reply to
Martin Bonner

So what's the difference between eggshell and satin - the latter seems much more common?

Reply to
DavidM

My apologies, I have prepared old gloss and will undercoat and then satin

Reply to
SS

Not a clue. If forced to guess, I would suggest that satin is shinier than eggshell, but is there anybody that does both?

Reply to
Martin Bonner