Re: OT Roomba robotic floor sweepers

In article , Capitol writes

Hi, Not quite diy, but maybe of interest. In a moment of absolute >folly, she persuaded me to buy her a Roomba whilst we were in the US >and bring it back. These things are tiny (14" dia x 3" tall) and are >sold to sweep and vacuum up the dust on smooth floors only. The battery >life is 30 - 90 minutes, depending on whether the floor is smooth or >short pile carpeted(30 min). Recharge time is 12 hrs- ouch. The robot >program is extremely dim, so it charges all the stool legs and >furniture, but interestingly enough, it so far copes brilliantly with >the kitchen carpet tiles and short pile carpet. She reckons that her >kitchen has never been so well swept! ( so much for my efforts!!) It >will be interesting to see how long it lasts, the consumer life reports >were a bit iffy, but at the moment it does give one a glow of >satisfaction to sit there eating lunch whilst it cleans up the crumbs!! >It also does have a tendency to make a bid for freedom if you forget to >close the kitchen door before turning it loose. I wonder how domestic >animals would cope with it? > > The way it charges under low tables is very impressive, as is the edge >cleaning performance. I do wonder how many essential lost screws it has >consumed. > Has anybody else much experience of these things in the UK? >

What does it do with the dirt? I presume you have to empty it once it's finished, or does it go to the bin and empty itself?!

I've always fancied one of those automatic lawnmowers, but the way the advert vaguely dismisses how the grass cuttings are disposed of does not encourage me.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell