Re: OT. - OK Firth lets sort it out.

Indeed, whereas Firth is a pain in the arse and one of the many who make usenet tedious.

Reply to
R D S

I'm not defending Mr Firth in this case but what you say simply isn't so. Many of his posts are both informative and entertaining. Mainly on other groups, though. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Exactly - sharing goes both ways. The Handyman doesn't just take, he gives back, too.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Takes all sorts mate. We don't want moderation and we don't want lynch mobs either.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Yeah, grow up and stop being sensitive about someone mentioning their business.

Reply to
Skipweasel

So far this thread sounds like a landslide vote for TMH, with which I fully concur. Keep up the posts Dave!

David

Reply to
DavidM

Quite a lot of us here are pro, semi-pro or have turned pro. We do get some benefit from posting here. Most of us probably find that we don't really need to generate more work.

Personally I'd rather get the benefit of reading a thread with posts from a pro who, after all is faced with many of the same problems as a diyer! even if there is some commercial signature lines.

OTOH we have some posts from some non-pros that are very commercial whilst they have nothing to contribute or (and we know who we are talking about) are constantly peddling certain "one size fits all" solutions.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

"... Shit or bust."

"Over to you f****it. "

Both comments unnecessary - you've reduced yourself to your opponent's level.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Damn right.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Why on earth do you and others keep insisting that I am referring to his sig?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Which is more or less what I said, because he's popular he's allowed to get away with it. It's a poor basis on which to run a newsgroup and will inevitably lead to tears.

I'll ignore your silly dig.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well what else are you referring to? That is the only URL you will find in the vast majority of his posts.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well bugger off if it bothers you.

You are beginning to be a crashing bore anyway.

This isn't YOUR news group.

No, dont. Take it to heart and piss off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Other than you, few if any of us believe that he is "getting away" with anything. He does the exactly the same as the rest of us, discusses DIY related stuff based on experiences, skills, questions etc, and a bit of banter mixed in.

Also I don't see why you single out Dave? Why not comment when one of our resident gas fitters chips in with advice on boilers or heating issues, or any of the other traders here discuss topics what are for them part of their business? Not saying that doing this would make your argument any less trivial, but at least it would be consistent.

It seems to be the way we want to run our newsgroup... no one is forcing you to read it.

Reply to
John Rumm

Do I have to keep repeating myself?

But not the only place you will find a URL in his posts.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Nor is it yours, nor anyone elses. Nor indeed does it belong to any self-appointed clique.

At what point was I abusive to you?

Reply to
Steve Firth

It's not *your* newsgroup, nor does it belong to anyone else, much less to a self-appointed clique.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You weren't abusive to me. You were just trying to control something that isn't yours to control, and basically irritate people.

This newsgroup belongs to the self appointed clique who choose to post in it.

They control the content.

You cant control them. You pissed allover TMH, I pissed all over you.

All square?

Frankly whether you stay or not is of almost no interest to me personally. I am merely pointing out that its very ineffectual to complain about other people whose actions you have no control over.

So I thought a direct insult might help you decide. If it doesn't And I get bored with your nasal whine, there is always the killfile. I won't tell you, I'll just do it, and if everyone else does, you will be a lone voice crying in the wilderness with no one to hear.

Usenet is a de-facto true democracy, or sort of socially self organising anarchy. Take it or leave it.

Fortunately UK.D-I-Y is not so troll infested as to make it unreadable, so it remains a better place to drop in for a chat as well as discuss the finer points of a chisel bit.

It doesn't need a flame war..there are plenty of places to do that if you feel like it. Don't mistake advice as to the actual reality of it for some attempt to pretend that this is in any way a rule that should be followed. Its just the way it is. And I doubt you have the power to change it single handedly, and there is remarkably little support for your opinion anyway.

Its pointless to tout for business here: manufacturers get ignored, and handymen who think that a DIY group is going to hire them, are into a hiding to nothing. The whole point of D-I-Y is you DON'T hire a handyman.

Ive done practical things with my hands, my brain, with tools and equipment to make stuff all my life. Some I got paid for, some I didn't and some I did just for fun. I don't know whether that makes me a professional or an amateur and I do not frankly care. If I feel like it, I pass on such as I (think I) know, and if I need it, I ask for advice and input.

And otherwise pass the time of day here with like minded people who also have (one hopes) a healthy sense of humour, generous dollops of common sense and some modicum of skills and intelligence.

That is the REALITY of UK.D-i-y.

Take it, or leave it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh but it does, by virtue of him posting in it.

Same as it belongs to you, but YOU don't seem to want it. So why stick around?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Perhaps until we understand what you are saying. You say "spatter his posts with references to that site" which makes it sound like he frequently posts references to pages on his web site in the body of his messages (i.e. in addition to the link in the sig). Yet the only link we see on a frequent basis is the one in the sig.

According to google he has made 3807 postings to date (not including his contributions to the wiki and FAQ). I expect if you go and count all the posts that have links to the site that are NOT just in the sig you will have a very small number. Certainly far fewer than the number of links I have posted to sections of my site for example.

Of those you do find you would need to subtract those where he is either explaining by example (here is one I did earlier etc), or asking a direct question - does this look ok etc. Since neither of these activities would count as spamming or commercial advertising given the context. You may argue that asking others opinion on a price list is off topic, but we (i.e. the group as a whole) generally tolerate a fair amount of off topic posts anyway, and for those of us that often need to work out what to charge for DIY style work when we do it on a semi professional basis, it becomes very useful and on topic.

I note you don't complain about the number of links posted to screwfix, amazon, bes, axminster, lawson etc. Are these less commercial in some way?

You complain of Dave mentioning "his bloody tedious business". Personally I enjoy reading about Dave's business since it offers a good and entertaining insight into another world. It is also useful for any competent DIYer looking on and wondering if a similar venture might not suit them as well should push come to shove.

The occasional exception does not prove the general case.

Reply to
John Rumm