Re: (OT) Home networking problem

In message , News writes

In message , John Williamson > writes >> >>File sharing under 'Doze can be a nightmare. >> >Yes, thank you John :-) > >I've been attempting to run little networks ever since Windows for >Workgroups, and, although it usually works eventually, I have never >felt entirely confident that I can just go through a known procedure, >and it will work. It has never been that simple. I think I was most >confident with 98 and XP. 7 is an utter nightmare with, as has been >said, myriad permissions to sort and understand. > >My current problem has, I think, happened before, but eventually >(days), it has suddenly started working again, with absolutely no >intervention from me. This time it is more than a week, and nothing.

Have you been to Advanced sharing options and set Permissions to everyone and ticked Full Control?

Reply to
bert

I am intrigued by seeing other peoples network experiences. I find that only the Linux and Android machines which I have, set themselves up and behave reliably in the network. Windows I regard as having deteriorated seriously since W95 and XP is a real pain to keep network connected.

Reply to
Capitol

Well the more complicated the more control you actually have. Perhaps Windows is aimed at larger networks and so defaults to a more secure setting. Without wanting to defend M$ in any way much is aimed at those who actually have time to read the documentation or can afford to go on courses rather than the home user who relies on the intuitive nature of the software. Hence the Office 2010 ribbon drives me up the wall!!!

Reply to
bert

I prefer it. Much easier to use than the previous clutter.

Reply to
Huge

Clutter is exactly the word I would use to describe the ribbon - but each to his own

Reply to
bert