Re: OT Hindenberg pix.

I wonder where we could find new passenger capacity near London? I seem to remember seeing something about there being airports at Luton, and Stansted. But like everyone else I don't want to go there...

They have capacity, but no demand. Why do people think Sheerness would fair any better?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

It would fare better because Heathrow would be closed as redundant. And sold for trillions as housing land, with good transport connections.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Somebody mentioned Northolt in a *throwaway remark* on radio.

Also Manston has a nice long runway.

Luton is upsetting the local press with proposals for a huge increase in flights over the next 10 years.

I believe Stansted has the land for a new runway but needs better links to central London.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

This is missing the point that business traffic needs to all come in to a hub airport, and heathrow is the only one with the business connections, carriers, interconnections, etc. There will only be a handful of hub airports across Europe, and if Heathrow fails to keep up, we won't have one in the UK, and that means a load of business won't happen in the UK anymore.

The others are all fine for holidays, but you won't spread the business traffic across them. No one is interested in landing at Luton for an onward flight from Gatwick, or having a dozen company directors from around the world arrive for a meeting, at 4 different airports. Companies will simply move their European HQ's to other countries which do understand the importance of a hub airport to business.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,

[Snip]

single runway - unexpandabe.

just the one

you've listened to Fascinating Aida and "Cheap Flights", haven't you?

Reply to
charles

They still show that it is possible to build a successful jet engined flying boat.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

In message , charles writes

No. But I have noticed that if you fly Easyjet to Madeira in the winter, you take off from Stansted and fly over Luton Airport!

On Stansted, my sister had some connection with the owner of the farmland threatened with CP.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

OK., like the time I flew into Atlanta hub, and my sole contribution to the local economy was a coke and a packet of malboro before I got on my plane to san Jose?

Yeah Right. American passengers landing at Heathrow to go to Paris on business are REALLY going to make a difference to the UK economy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

An ekranoplane is not a flying boat.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think "seem" is the right word. Salt water and jet engines don't get on, where a build-up of salt within engines seriously degrades performance.

You'll notice that they've tried to minimise salt spray entering the engines by placing them as far forward as possible.

Reply to
Fredxx

While it does not fly in the normal sense of the word and there has been discussion about whether it should be counted as a boat or as an aircraft, it does do what a flying boat needs to do; it takes off and lands on water and is airborne in between.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Still missing the point...

In the past, if you wanted to fly to any business city in the world, you went to Heathrow and took it for granted you could fly there. That's only true for a handful of airports across Europe - the hub airports. If you are anywhere else, you will likely have to fly to a hub airport first, which for many countries, means no direct flights to business destinations (or very few, and only to obscure airports at the other end).

Now, with many new emerging markets around the world, such as China and South America, these are linking into the European hubs, but Heathrow has no capacity. For these rapidly growing business desintinations, you will struggle to fly from Heathrow, and you may have to fly to another European hub airport first. This will rapidly take away business momentum from Heathrow, and it will lose its hub status, which very many other countries and airports would love to grab. This is extremely important because this directly influences who those emerging markets will preferentially do business with, where they will setup their European headquarters, where they will look for business to supply them, etc. and it will be within one of the countries with a hub airport. If that's not us, we will be very severely handicapped, and you will likely also see existing companies move their HQ out too, to one of the hub countries.

Many EU countries have built substantial large new airports over the last ~20 years, knowing this is essential to attract and retain global business. We haven't made that investment, and we're now out of capacity in our hub. Yesterday, I heard Paris has got 6 times more flights to the business destinations in China, and people here are having to fly to Paris to get on flights to China. China will have 70 new airports in the next 3 years. Where are growing Chinese companies more likely to setup their European HQ and operations? Somewhere they can easily fly to.

Don't under-estimate the importance of a business hub airport in the UK - it's absolutely essential, and leaving it to fall behind the rest of Europe will very quickly result in loss of hub status, and the enormous amount of business that generates for us.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thers a bit more to being an aircraft than that actually.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Bollocks

But not hubs

We haven't made that

Bollocks

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What made them dangerous was the weather:

With an early morning class at CalTech, Krick took a nap each night during the five hours of little flying activity when the IIO-miles-an- hour Fokker F-IOs flew from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas.

As he turned in, he remarked to the radio operator, "I'm glad we're not flying off the coast of New Jersey tonight. There's a cold front coming down from the north-east and a warm front coming up from the south-west. When the two meet there is going to be one awful mix-up. It'll be very violent."

Krick was no sooner asleep than he was shaken awake by the radioman. "My God, the Akron just went down in the Atlantic off Bamegat Light, right where you said all that rough weather was coming!".

The Akron large enough to accommodate five airplanes aboard. Seventy- three men died in the disaster.

Krick sought out Dr. Theodore von Karman, chairman of CalTech's Guggenheim Aeronautics Laboratory, which later was to spawn the world- famous Jet Propulsion Laboratory. Von Karman also headed the Goodyear Airship Institute at Akron, Ohio.

"The Akron never had a chance," Krick said. "The wind shear set up by these two opposing air masses blowing in opposite directions was bound to destroy the ship. She should never have been flown into this kind of weather."

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Amsterdam certainly is one as is Frankfurt. and CDeG

Reply to
charles

But are they new airports?

Reply to
polygonum

CDeG certainly is. Amsterdam was far enough out of town to enable expansion.

Reply to
charles

Schiphol is probably the best example. Holland is simply too small to be a key business centre in the EU, but the investment in Schiphol completely changes that, and means they have one of the

5 EU business hub airports, which drives business there and they feed each others growth. That's one reason why a former employer set up their EU HQ there.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Bollocks.

It means that occasionally you fly to schipol in order to fly somewhere else.

Hubs do not increase trade,. just traffic.

This is being sold as 'good for business' when its anything but. Its good fopr people whop own airports that's all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher