Re: [OT] Car insurance craziness

Apologies, I assumed it would be the same as Saudi where booze isn't tolerated.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

Yeah, ok, point taken. Sometimes I'm too pacifistic for my own good.

Not sure all the bad mouthing and swearing helps though - perhaps a simple tactic of ignoring him (or killfiling him) will help regulars.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Oman and the UAE are quite westernised. Now that the oil is running out they are turning to tourism and people won't go on holiday if they cant get a drink. You watch Kuwait will be the next to relax alcohol laws. Most of the new hotels there have bar in the design but for the moment they are called coffee bars Steve R

Reply to
Essjay001

Reply to
geoff

Not as far as I am aware

Where abouts?

Reply to
Essjay001

No, I was with PDO. When we were first there PDO had their own store and rules for alcohol, they were steadily brought more into line with the other outlets as time went on.

Reply to
usenet

Hi, as about the only reasoning response, I thought you might like to hear some reasons. The current standard of newsreader is Microsoft OE. This is a top posting protocol. Bottom posted replies are a pain in the butt for quick reading of the letters in a theme. Many responses are in fact mid posted where the topic is more complex. If you want to see the problems of mid and bottom posting in a crap news reader, simply look up a complex thread in Google and try to follow it. It is much easier to follow in top posted OE.

I have seen a number of resp>

Reply to
Capitol

In message , Capitol writes

Two of a kind eh?

Reply to
geoff

Pity you had to quote it all...I've already killfiled the Capitol Crap...

Reply to
Bob Eager

Sorry about that -I'm ignoring him too from now on as, I understand are quite a few others

Reply to
geoff

"Killfile" is such a childish response, you guys love all this macho stuff don't you?

Steve R

Reply to
Essjay001

I'm with you Capitol, though the reason I tend to top post is twofold:-

  1. every office I have ever worked in MOD or government the latest correspondence is placed on top of the file and that has been a convention since before the computer was invented.

  1. those people who insist on no top posting tend not to snip resulting in my having to scroll through piles of clutter before I get to the point. It really F***s me off! It's a bit like the guy who, when you ask him a question, he repeats it the question before he answers. Damn that is so annoying.

As for the arguement that top posting places the answer before the question what a load of crap. When I read a top posted answer I have already read the original question in the previous post I don't need to read it again.

That fact that some people 'killfile' top posters makes them very childish. Just because a person top posts doesn't mean he has nothing to say. However, having said that we may end up talking to each other.

Steve R

Capitol wrote:

Reply to
Essjay001

Posting style isn't a protocol; OE merely puts the cursor at the top when replying to a post. Ctrl-End will shift it to the bottom.

I fail to understand the logic of that statement. In NGs like this one posts tend to be question and answer sessions so if you top post then the answer appears before the question - have you ever seen a FAQ written that way?

In my experience, when you use Google groups the matches are often in the middle of a thread and, if they are top posted, then you have to scroll down to read what it is a reply to.

It isn't that the *newsreaders* can't *cope* with top posting, it's the people who don't like it. It certainly isn't a minority taste; quite the contrary in fact. In the majority of Usenet groups top posting is frowned upon.

With respect Capitol, Microsoft is *not* the standard. The Internet is a platform-independent. OS-independent, hardware-independent medium; no-one owns it, the standards are defined by agreement, e.g. RFCs and the W3C (of which MS is a member).

Asserting that OE is the standard for news is the same as those who assert that Internet Explorer is the standard for the Web and code webpages full of IE-specific code that doesn't display properly, or at all, in other browsers. Now, if they are just their own personal webpages, then they are free to do that, but if they are coding webpages for commercial sites (by which I mean sites that are selling on-line) then they stand to lose business for that company (as am example, Argos has lost business from me because their site only worked in IE - it now works in all browsers). They may (and do) argue that non-IE browsers only account for 5% of web users (a figure that is doubtless wildly inaccurate) but I bet you'll not find a bean counter in the world who would shrug their shoulds at lost revenue and say, "it doesn't matter, it's only 5%".

I have read, on more than one occassion, people with the view that MS is the standard (for the web) make statements like, "stuff the W3C; MS sets the standard", which shows an incredible ignorance of what the web and the W3C is. MS is one of many companies and groups who ratify the standards for the Web and IE, since v5, has supported these standards.

Reply to
parish

Welcome! Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

And I had better post just to get xnews into this thread :-)

Rod

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Not at all, I just can't be bothered to wade through his confused postings.

Reply to
Bob Eager

and strn.

Bet there are not many people still using that :-)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

That's a bit like saying the majority of people in the world are starving. Just because something is common doesn't make it best or the standard to aim for.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I don't object to top posting in e-mails - after all it's not unreasonable to expect the person reading it to remember what the subject was all about, so the copy is only there for reference if needed. This isn't the case with news, though, unless you only read a tiny amount.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Funny. In my experience it's top posters who simply quote the entire post for a one line reply, because they are always inexperienced. Those with experience eventually go with the majority way. And, of course, learn to snip.

The real problem with top posting is that it is answering the question before putting it. If you don't see this, why quote a post at all?

Reply to
Dave Plowman